- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
What went right and wrong as Bruins beat Islanders
Posted By DJ Bean On January 25, 2013 @ 9:35 pm In General | 2 Comments
Dougie Hamilton had the first multi-point game of his career as Bruins improved to 3-0-1 with a 4-2 win over the Islanders at TD Garden Friday night.
Hamilton had two assists on the night, with the B’s getting scoring from Shawn Thornton , Gregory Campbell , Zdeno Chara  and Patrice Bergeron . The Islanders got a pair of goals from Keith Aucoin.
Tuukka Rask  made 24 saves on 26 shots in the win, his third of the season.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- It was another strong game for Hamilton, who picked up his second career and third career points with assists on Thornton and Bergeron’s goals, and could have had more. Hamilton fired the shot that led to Thornton’s goal in front in the first period, while his long pass from the corner to Brad Marchand  in the neutral zone started the play that resulted in Bergeron’s breakaway goal. Late in the third period, arena-wide “Dougie” chants filled the Garden.
Though Hamilton had only two shots that actually reached Rick DiPietro Friday, he once again displayed an impressive ability to get pucks through. Another one of his shots, an intentionally wide blast, nearly resulted in a goal when it bounced off the board to Patrice Bergeron , whose bid was stopped.
- Speaking of defensemen, the Bruins got Dennis Seidenberg  back on Friday, and though Claude Julien  limited his time somewhat (he did not get any time on the power play), he didn’t appear to be in any noticeable discomfort. Seidenberg had a team-high six hits for the Bruins.
- Though the power play remains unsuccessful, the penalty kill was sharp as usual for the Bruins. In killing off three penalties, the team’s penalty kill improved to 16-for-16 through four games.
- Johnny Boychuk  showed his tolerance for pain by not missing a shift after clearly feeling a blocked shot from Kyle Okposo in the third period. Boychuk struggled through the rest of the shift and went down the tunnel afterwards, but was back out on the ice for his next turn.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Though they finally scored their first power-play goal of the season on Wednesday, the struggles on the man advantage continued for the Bruins on Friday. In turning in an 0-for-3 showing, the Bruins saw their power play sink to 1-for-17 on the season.
- Zdeno Chara  took his third minor penalty in four games when he mauled John Tavares in the neutral zone in the second period. The stakes were much lower without Chara this time around, as Chara’s previous penalties came late in tie games and involved a 5-on-3 for the opponent, and the B’s penalty killers once again came up big without their top man.
- The line of Chris Kelly  between Rich Peverley  and Chris Bourque had another underwhelming night, as Aucoin blew right by Bourque and Johnny Boychuk  in front to score the Islanders’ first goal. The goal and minus-1 showing dropped both Peverley and Bourque to a minus-3 thus far on the season. Kelly, who picked up the secondary assist on Campbell’s goal but had changed before the puck went in, was also a minus-1 and saw his rating fall to minus-3.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/01/25/what-went-right-and-wrong-as-bruins-beat-islanders/
URLs in this post:
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 > What went right and wrong as Bruins beat Islanders" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/01/25/what-went-right-and-wrong-as-bruins-beat-islanders/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.