- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
David Krejci breaks late tie to lead Bruins past Hurricanes
Posted By DJ Bean On January 28, 2013 @ 9:37 pm In General | 31 Comments
Dougie Hamilton celebrated the news that he’ll be staying in the NHL  by turning in the biggest play of his young career to break a late tie in a 5-3 Bruins win over the Hurricanes Monday night.
With Milan Lucic  and Nathan Horton  creating havoc in front in a bid to break the tie, Hamilton gained control, sold the shot and fed David Krejci  at the left circle set up the game-winner with 1:40 remaining. Tyler Seguin  added an empty netter to steal the win.
The Bruins jumped out to a 2-0 lead thanks to a shorthanded goal from Brad Marchand  and a power play goal from Zdeno Chara . Jamie McBain then pulled the Hurricanes within one with his first goal of the season.
Nathan Horton  scored on an impressive play to make it 3-1, but the Hurricanes took advantage of some sloppy play from the Bruins late in the second to tie it on goals from Jeff Skinner and Eric Staal.
Picking up the win in net for the Bruins was Anton Khudobin, who was making his first start of the season.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Horton’s goal was sensational, as he made traffic cones of the Hurricanes in the neutral zone before pulling the puck around Tim Gleason at the blue line and walking in to go top shelf on Cam Ward  for his second goal of the season.
It’s easy to look at Horton’s size and forget what a skilled player he is, but the Bruins’ third goal on Monday provided quite the reminder.
– Bruins fans have been conditioned to use the restroom or grab a snack during power plays, so they must have been delighted to return to their televisions to find a change on the scoreboard. With Patrick Dwyer in the box for interference, Chara threw a wrist shot on net from the point. That proved to be enough with Milan Lucic  screening in front, as Ward didn’t appear to see it.
– The Bruins weren’t aiming to take six minor penalties in the game, but they did hold the Hurricanes without a power play goal to improve their perfect penalty kill streak to 23-for-23 on the season. They also got the shorthanded tally from Marchand.
Khudobin took the Bruins’ first penalty for playing the puck outside the trapezoid. No better way to get reacclimated to the NHL  after spending the lockout playing in the KHL.
– Speaking of the penalty kill, the shorthanded goal was the seventh of Marchand’s career. He had five in the 2010-11 season and one last season.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Late turnovers in the second period, for one. After Jeff Skinner took advantage of one in the neutral zone and beat Khudobin to make it a one-goal game, Chris Kelly  sent a pass in his own zone right into Alexander Semin’s skates, with Semin feeding Staal to tie the game 1:15 remaining in the second.
– Tyler Seguin  finally got his first goal of the season, though it was of the empty net variety. Now in his third NHL  season, Seguin led the Bruins with 29 goals a season ago. He served the bench minor for too many men on the ice in the second period, while Skinner (a fellow top-10 draft pick in 2010) scored his fifth goal of the season.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/01/28/david-krejci-breaks-late-tie-to-lead-bruins-past-hurricanes/
URLs in this post:
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Cam Ward: http://media.weei.com/hockey/cam-ward.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl-hockey.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 > David Krejci breaks late tie to lead Bruins past Hurricanes" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/01/28/david-krejci-breaks-late-tie-to-lead-bruins-past-hurricanes/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.