- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Tuukka Rask, Nathan Horton lead Bruins past Devils in shootout win
Posted By DJ Bean On January 29, 2013 @ 9:49 pm In General | 2 Comments
Five was the magic number for the Bruins Tuesday night, as Nathan Horton  beat Johan Hedberg five-hole to tie the game late and Brad Marchand  took the same approach in scoring the game-winner in the sixth round of a 2-1 shootout win over the Devils at TD Garden.
With the B’s trailing, 1-0, Nathan Horton  went five-hole with 4:05 remaining in regulation to tie the game after Martin Brodeur’s backup had blanked the B’s through the first two and a half periods of play.
Hedberg was given the start for the Devils in place of Brodeur, who was given the night off for the first time this season. He made 25 saves on 26 shots, while Tuukka Rask  stopped 27 of Devils’ 28 shots. The lone Devils’ goal came from David Clarkson on the power play, marking the first time this season that the B’s allowed a power-play goal.
The 5-0-1 B’s will return to action Thursday at TD Garden as they face the Sabres in the first of five meetings between the teams this season.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Two of Horton’s three goals this season have come at crucial moments in the third period this season. Horton tied the game in last Wednesday’s overtime loss to the Rangers and turned in the equalizer Tuesday against the Devils. For a guy who developed a reputation as a clutch player in the 2011 postseason, he sure is reminding Bruins fans what they were missing late last season.
- Rask was very good for the B’s, making key stops on close-range attempts by the Devils. With less than five minutes to go in the first period, Krys Barch was parked in front and controlled a shot from the point, but Rask did a split to get a pad in front. Later in the period, Rask came up big in stopping Ryan Carter, who took a pass in front on the rush from Jacob Josefson. He also came up with a big save on Henrik Tallinder from the high slot in overtime.
There wasn’t much he could do about Clarkson’s goal, as there was traffic in front and the puck was redirected, though Rask did make a nice save in coming across the crease to stop Clarkson during a Devils power play that came as a result of Krejci’s penalty.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Not having an effective power play cost the Bruins an attempt to pull even earlier. The team went 0-for-3 on the man advantage, most notably failing to capitalize on a Dainius Zubrus holding call with 8:15 remaining in regulation and the Devils up, 1-0. The only two shots of that power play came when Hedberg stopped Patrice Bergeron  on the rush and stuffed Chris Bourque on the rebound.
- The Bruins’ perfect penalty kill streak ended at 24, as Johnny Boychuk’s second-period tripping penalty yielded Clarkson’s power play tally. The Bruins were the last team to allow a power play goal this season.
- Though he scored in the shootout for the second time this season, six games are in the books and Tyler Seguin  still has just an empty netter to his name as goals go. He had one of his better performances of the season, but he let up big time in a second-period footrace with Andy Greene to avoid getting hit on a play that could have prevented icing.
Speaking of the shootout, Seguin had to re-do his attempt in the first round of the shootout when a fan appeared to throw something on the ice during his first attempt.
Seguin led the Bruins with 29 goals last season, but he’s yet to bury one the old fashioned way in 2013.
- The B’s took a pair of goaltender interference penalties, at least one of which was a rough call. Daniel Paille  was whistled for taking down Hedberg in the second period, but replays showed that it looked more like Bryce Salvador took out his own goalie’s legs. David Krejci  was also called for goalie interference in the third period moments after he had a scoring chance when he redirected a Dougie Hamilton pass from the point in front.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/01/29/tuukka-rask-leads-bruins-past-devils-in-shootout-win/
URLs in this post:
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 > Tuukka Rask, Nathan Horton lead Bruins past Devils in shootout win" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/01/29/tuukka-rask-leads-bruins-past-devils-in-shootout-win/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.