Shawn Thornton knocked out of game after losing fight to John Scott
|01.31.13 at 8:11 pm ET|
Shawn Thornton will not return to Thursday’s game after suffering a beating at the hands of Sabres enforcer John Scott.
The 6-foot-8 Scott and 6-foot-2 Thornton squared off at the Sabres blue line just three minutes in the game. Before Thornton could get himself free to throw punches, Scott delivered no fewer than five rights to the head and neck area of the Bruins enforcer. Thornton and Scott went to the penalty box to serve their fighting majors.
The fight did not come as a surprise as the game was billed as a physical contest coming in, with several physical tussles expected between the Bruins and the Sabres, who were trying to make a point in the Northeast Division. Anticipating the fisticuffs, the Bruins scratched healthy players Aaron Johnson and Chris Bourque, activating Lane MacDermid.
Once the penalties expired, Thornton went immediately down the Bruins tunnel and into the dressing room and did not return. The Bruins announced at the start of the second period that he would not be returning but did not specify the nature of his injury.
The fight had no impact on the scoreboard as the two teams skated to a scoreless first period. The Bruins actually fell behind 1-0 early in the second before awakening with three goals in a span of 5:42, including back-to-back goals from Brad Marchand in a span 3:11.
For more, visit the Bruins team page at weei.com/bruins.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara