Peter Chiarelli still doesn’t expect Tim Thomas to play this season
|02.07.13 at 7:06 pm ET|
Speaking to the media on a conference call following the trade of Tim Thomas to the Islanders, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said Thursday that based on his discussions with agent Bill Zito, he does not expect Thomas to play for the Islanders this season.
“Nothing would suggest to me that he’s coming back this season, no, in my discussions with the agent,” Chiarelli said.
Thomas is in the final year of his deal, and Thursday’s trade would net the Bruins a draft pick in 2014 or 2015 if Thomas plays a game.
“Without getting into specifics, the condition [of the pick] is basically if he plays,” Chiarelli said. “There’s a bunch of different ways how to couch how he plays or where he plays or when he plays, but it’s if he plays.”
Chiarelli said at the open of training camp that Thomas still planned on playing next season, but said that talks with Zito led him to believe he “misstated” that information.
Said Chiarelli: “It’s better stated, coming from Bill, that he’s still contemplating playing next year.”
For more on the Bruins, visit weei.com/bruins.
- Dougie Hamilton headed back to Boston; Miller OK; could Boychuk be back?
- Bruins vs. Maple Leafs Recap: Bruins win 5-2, Kevan Miller scores first...
- Public Skate: Third Period, Bruins 3 Leafs 1
- Dougie Hamilton done for the night; Warsofsky incoming?
- Public Skate Second Period: Maple Leafs 1, Bruins 0
- Bruins vs. Leafs Complete Coverage
- Public Skate: Bruins vs Maple Leafs, 7PM EST