- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Patrice Bergeron helps Bruins past Senators in overtime
Posted By DJ Bean On February 28, 2013 @ 9:42 pm In General | 26 Comments
The win improved the Bruins 13-2-2 on the season, one point behind the Canadiens, who have played 29 games this season.
All of the game’s regulation scoring came in the second period, with Nathan Horton  putting the Bruins on the board at 5:48 thanks to some good puck movement between he and Dougie Hamilton. The B’s allowed a rare power-play goal to Jim O’Brien  later in the period.
The Bruins will play two more home games this weekend, hosting the Lightning Saturday and the Canadiens on Sunday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Tuukka Rask  had a strong showing for the B’s, helping to keep the momentum on the Bruins’ side after Horton’s goal. Shortly after Horton gave the B’s the lead, Rask stopped Kyle Turris on a partial breakaway. Thursday’s game marked the fifth straight start for Rask.
- Horton’s goal was the product of both great execution and a bit of luck. After Milan Lcic pout in the work to keep the puck in the zone, Horton passed it to Hamilton at the right circle, who dished it back to Horton in front. Horton’s stick was being lifted by Zach Smith, so while he wasn’t able to get much on the puck, he was able to touch it just enough to change its direction and make for a bit of a changeup as it trickled past Lehner.
In picking up the primary assist, Hamilton now has five points over his last six games.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- The Bruins’ perfect penalty kill streak came to an end after 27 successful kills, and it ended in a rather preventable way. With less than 20 seconds left in a too-many-men penalty, the B’s allowed a long pass from Patrick Wiercioch to be completed through the neutral zone to give Kaspars Daugavins a breakaway. Rask made the save, but the B’s were unable to clear the puck in front afterwards, with O’Brien knocking it in to tie the game. Claude Julien  had David Krejci  and Nathan Horton  out at the end of the penalty kill.
- It wasn’t Chris Bourque’s best night, with an interference penalty with the B’s on the power play in the second period didn’t help matters. Even a good effort to dive and keep the puck in on a third-period power play ended poorly, as he knocked the puck off a Senators player and into the neutral zone.
- Speaking of special teams, the B’s were 0-for-3 on the power play, making them 0-for-26 on the man advantage at home this season.
- Boston had to spend the final 31 seconds of regulation and the first 1:29 of overtime on the penalty kill as the result of a Milan Lucic  penalty for closing his hand on the puck. The B’s came through, with trios of Zdeno Chara , Patrice Bergeron  and Dennis Seidenberg  as well as Chris Kelly , Johnny Boychuk  and Andrew Ference  coming up big in the overtime session.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/02/28/patrice-bergeron-helps-bruins-past-senators-in-overtime/
URLs in this post:
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Jim O’Brien: http://media.weei.com/basketball/jim-obrien.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://media.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 > Patrice Bergeron helps Bruins past Senators in overtime" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/02/28/patrice-bergeron-helps-bruins-past-senators-in-overtime/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.