- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Tuukka Rask shuts out Flyers as Bruins cruise
Posted By DJ Bean On March 9, 2013 @ 3:36 pm In General | 8 Comments
Tuukka Rask  snapped his first losing streak of the season with a shutout and the third line finally produced some offense as the Bruins beat the Flyers, 3-0, Saturday at TD Garden.
Though the Bruins only had six shots on Ilya Bryzgalov in the first period, they were able to jump out to a 3-0 lead thanks to a power-play goal from Tyler Seguin  and even-strength goals from Chris Kelly  and Daniel Paille . Kelly’s goal was just his second of the season.
Rask made 23 saves and Seguin made one (see below) in the shutout, Rask’s second of the season. The win improved Boston to 16-3-3 on the season. Boston will hit the road to face the Senators Monday and the Penguins  Tuesday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Boston got scoring from its bottom-six forwards, and if there’s a monkey the B’s needed to get off their back, that was it.
Kelly’s goal marked his first-even strength tally of the season and gave the Caron-Kelly-Peverley line as many goals in one game as the Bourque-Kelly-Peverley line had over 16 games. Caron picked up his first assist of the season by feeding Kelly at the hashmarks to set up the goal. It was also nice to see Paille get his fourth of the year, with a deke on Bryzgalov in front after being hit in stride with a pass from Gregory Campbell . Shawn Thornton  also dropped the gloves for the second time in three games, fighting Zac Rinaldo in the second period. Prior to Tuesday, Thornton hadn’t fought in nine games since returning from the concussion he suffered against Buffalo’s John Scott.
Speaking of the bottom-six forwards, here’s a fun stat that only the great Michael Berger could have uncovered: Since the start of the 2011 playoffs, the Bruins are 26-0-0 (including playoffs) when Kelly scores. That’s pretty wacky no matter how you slice it.
- Tyler Seguin  continued to show that he’s gotten back on track, picking up his 13th point over the last 11 games. His power-play tally was the product of some nice puck movement from the B’s, as David Krejci  sent it low to Milan Lucic , who fed Seguin at the bottom the left circle with a backhand pass. Seguin quickly fired it past Bryzgalov to five the B’s the 1-0 lead.
Seguin now has six goals and seven assists over the last 11 contests.
- Seguin also made a hell of a play to keep the shutout alive with the Bruins on the power play. Rask came far out of the net to get a puck, but when it led to a turnover, Seguin was back to lay out and keep the bid from going in. It wasn’t Michael Ryder circa 2011 , but it was another sign that Seguin is becoming a smarter, better player.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- David Krejci  was kind of on and off between over the last two periods after taking a hit from Brayden Schenn in the second. Krejci left the ice and went down the tunnel following the hit and was checked out in the runway before returning to the bench. He then missed the start of the third period, but came back.
- While the Bergeron line has been hot for the B’s, Boston could stand to get some more scoring out of its first-line power forwards. Milan Lucic  has now gone seven games without a goal, while Nathan Horton’s goal-less stretch has reached five games. Horton did have four shots on goal Saturday, which is a good sign for slumping scorers.
For more on the Bruins, visit weei.com/bruins .
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/03/09/tuukka-rask-shuts-out-flyers/
URLs in this post:
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Michael Ryder circa 2011: http://youtu.be/c-oqMBTfLTc
 weei.com/bruins: http://weei.com/bruins
 > Tuukka Rask shuts out Flyers as Bruins cruise" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/03/09/tuukka-rask-shuts-out-flyers/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.