- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins come from behind to beat Senators in shootout, lose Chris Kelly to injury
Posted By DJ Bean On March 11, 2013 @ 10:30 pm In General | 17 Comments
David Krejci  beat Robin Lehner in the fourth round of a shootout to give Boston a 3-2 come-from-behind win in a game in which they trailed, 2-0. It wasn’t all positive for the B’s, as they lost Chris Kelly  for the game on an apparent knee injury suffered in the second period.
The Bruins came out sluggish, and the Senators benefited in the first minute of the game, when a long pass up the ice from Sergei Gonchar bounced off Adam McQuaid’s stick as he tried to intercept it. Guillaume Latendresse gained control entering the zone and raced past Zdeno Chara  before dekeing Tuukka Rask  to get Ottawa on the board. Kyle Turris made it 2-0 on a wrist shot, causing Claude Julien  to call a timeout. It paid off, as Rask came up with a huge save in the final minutes of the period before Shawn Thornton  brought Boston within one in the final minute of the first. Daniel Paille  tied it with a breakaway goal in the second period.
The game was the first of a back-to-back, as Boston will face the Penguins  Tuesday night in Pittsburgh.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- The Senators could have made it 3-0 with just over three minutes to go in the third period when Sergei Gonchar fed Colin Greening on a 2-on-2, but Rask made it across his net in time to rob Greening. Thornton scored less than two minutes later, making the last few minutes of the first period crucial for the B’s.
That wasn’t the only big save Rask made, as he stopped Zack Smith with less than 30 seconds to go in regulation.
- Speaking of the Thornton goal, it’s not too shabby when a team can get a pair of goals from its fourth liners. Paille’s game-tying goal came in the midst of a line change, as he stayed in the neutral zone after getting on the ice as David Krejci  controlled the puck in front of Rask’s net. Krejci sent a long pass through the neutral zone to Paille, who made the most of the breakaway by beating Lehner with a snapshot.
- Just over a week after the instigator penalty hurt the Bruins on a play in which Zdeno Chara  stood up for his teammate, the Bruins found themselves on the beneficial end of such a scenario. After Adam McQuaid shoved Chris Neil into the endboards from behind, Patrick Wiercioch went after and fought McQuaid. Though McQuaid got a minor for boarding, Wiercrioch got a total of 19 minutes, four of which were for instigating while wearing a shield. That gave the B’s a two-minute power play after all was said and done.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- The Bruins lost Chris Kelly  for the game after a knee-on-knee collision with Neil in the second period. Kelly stayed down on the ice after the collision and was tended to by trainer Don DelNegro before being helped off the ice. As he left the ice, Kelly kept his left leg elevated. Though he’s had a down year offensively, losing Kelly would be very difficult for the Bruins, who rely on him to center their third line and kill penalties.
- The B’s got to Ottawa on Sunday night, but it appeared they didn’t get to Scotiabank Place until the first two goals of the game were allowed. Ottawa had the first nine shots on net before Boston eventually picked it up and impressively outshot the Sens, 16-15, in the first.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/03/11/bruins-come-from-behind-to-beat-senators-in-shootout-lose-kelly-to-injury/
URLs in this post:
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 > Bruins come from behind to beat Senators in shootout, lose Chris Kelly to injury" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/03/11/bruins-come-from-behind-to-beat-senators-in-shootout-lose-kelly-to-injury/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.