- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins blow two-goal lead in third, lose to Penguins
Posted By DJ Bean On March 12, 2013 @ 10:07 pm In General | 23 Comments
Anton Khudobin was 6:18 away from shutting out the Penguins . Fifty-one seconds later, the game was tied at two. Not long after that, Brandon Sutter was celebrating the second of two goals on the night to give the Penguins  a 3-2 come-from-behind lead.
With the B’s holding a two-goal lead acquired in the first period, Chris Kunitz beat Khudobin from the right circle on a one-time fed by Kris Letang to make it 2-1. Sutter then finished off a 3-on-2 with his seventh goal of the season to tie the game and gave the Penguins the lead with less than two minutes to play.
The Penguins’ scoring was a long time coming, as they dominated the play late in the second period onward, but the B’s weathered the storm until Kunitz finally got Pittsburgh on the board. Boston had a season-low 16 shots on goal, while the Penguins put 34 pucks on Khudobin.
Zdeno Chara  got the Bruins on the board in the first period with a power-play goal on a slap shot from the point, with Tyler Seguin  making it 2-0 at 13:30 of the first with his ninth goal of the season.
The Bruins will return to the Garden Thursday night to host the Panthers.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– It was the third loss this season for the Bruins when leading entering the third period, as the Sabres, Canadiens and Penguins have all come back to beat Boston in the third.
– Chris Kelly  missed the game with what appeared to be a knee injury suffered Monday night against the Senators. With Kelly out of the lineup, Rich Peverley  was moved to center on the third line, with Jay Pandolfo jumping into the lineup on left wing and Jordan Caron moving to right wing.
– Nathan Horton  could have made it 3-0 early in the second period but missed the net, sending the puck wide right. Horton has now gone seven consecutive games without a goal.
– The Penguins really turned it on in the second period, with the B’s spending the vast majority of the period’s final 10 minutes in their own zone. Boston was able to survive the onslaught, but Pittsburgh was clearly in control later in the period. Once the floodgates opened with Kunitz’ goal, however, there was no stopping the Penguins.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– The B’s came through with a huge 5-on-3 penalty kill against a Penguins team that entered the game with the third-best power play in the league. With one of their top penalty killers in Patrice Bergeron  already in the box, Anton Khudobin was whistled for high-sticking, giving Pittsburgh a 1:05 5-on-3. Trios of Rich Peverley , Andrew Ference  and Johnny Boychuk  and Peverley with Chara and Seidenberg killed it off, with Peverley winning two big face-offs. Pittsburgh’s second power play ended early when Chris Kunitz went off for tripping Johnny Boychuk  with 16 seconds left in Khudobin’s penalty.
– The Penguins had not been shut out this season, but give Khudobin credit for coming close as long as he did. Khudobin was strong for the B’s until the floodgates opened, getting plenty of work as the Penguins turned up the heat with sustained pressure from the Penguins in the second half of the game.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/03/12/bruins-blow-two-goal-lead-lose-to-penguins/
URLs in this post:
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://media.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 > Bruins blow two-goal lead in third, lose to Penguins" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/03/12/bruins-blow-two-goal-lead-lose-to-penguins/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.