- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Penguins beat Bruins again in Pittsburgh
Posted By DJ Bean On March 17, 2013 @ 3:01 pm In General | 20 Comments
The Penguins beat the Bruins for the second time in six days, handing Boston a 2-1 loss Sunday at CONSOL Energy Center.
Sidney Crosby got the Penguins on the board at 12:06 of the first with his 13th goal of the season, and though Tyler Seguin tied the game at one later in the period, Joe Vitale took advantage of a bad rebound by Tuukka Rask with 32 seconds remaining in the first to give Pittsburgh the lead for good.
The loss also came with a big injury scare, as David Krejci was hit by a Johnny Boychuk slapshot with around five minutes left in the third period. Krejci jumped in front of the Penguins’ net to try to avoidthe puck, but he jumped right into it, with the puck appearing to hit him in the right knee with his pad down and leaving the knee unprotected. Krejci stayed down on the ice, and was tended to by trainer Don DelNegro. He was helped off the ice and put no pressure on his right leg as he left. Krejci did not return to the game. With Krejci out, Rich Peverley moved up to center Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton.
The Bruins have now lost two of their three games against the Penguins this season. The teams will next meet on April 19 in Boston. The B’s will play their next three games on the road, facing the Jets Tuesday, the Senators Thursday and the Maple Leafs Saturday.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Claude Julien put the Zdeno Chara-Dennis Seidenberg pairing usually seen in the postseason out against Crosby’s line for the defensive zone faceoff prior to Crosby’s goal, but Pascal Dupuis was able to steal the puck from Chara after David Krejci won the faceoff. Dupuis passed it to Chris Kunitz, who fed Crosby to set up the first goal of the game.
- Rask would probably love to have the Penguins’ second goal back. He was unable to hold on with his glove save attempt on a wrist shot from Craig Adams, and that allowed Vitale to swoop in and sent the rebound past the Boston goaltender.
- Some sharp work by the officials, as they busted Patrice Bergeron for a faceoff violation late in the second period. Though it was tough to tell in real time, replays showed that Bergeron did indeed glove the puck, making it the right call. The Bruins did an admirable job in killing off the penalty without Bergeron, as they held the Penguins shot-less over the course of the power play.
- The Bruins’ third line of Peverley between Jay Pandolfo and Jordan Caron has yet to score in its four games of existence, and Sunday saw the trio fail to put a shot on net until the third period (Pandolfo). That third line needed upgrading before Chris Kelly went down, and it would appear to be a matter of time before Peter Chiarelli does something to address it.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Crosby was not a happy camper when he was called for high-sticking Boychuk in the second period, and replays showed that he had a point. Boychuk used his own stick to bring Crosby’s stick up to his face. Pierre McGuire on the NBC telecast pointed to the play as proof that the NHL needs coaches’ challenges, and while it wasn’t that bad of a call, the Bruins caught a bit of a break.
- Seguin got off to a slow start, scoring just three goals over his first 17 games throughout January and February, but his first-period strike was his seventh goal in 10 games in the month of March.
Seguin was at the bottom of the left circle calling for the puck, and though Boychuk opted for a wrist shot on net, it worked out when the puck bounced off Bergeron and right to Seguin. The 21-year-old took advantage by firing it into the net with plenty of space.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/03/17/penguins-beat-bruins-again-in-pittsburgh/
URLs in this post:
 > Penguins beat Bruins again in Pittsburgh" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/03/17/penguins-beat-bruins-again-in-pittsburgh/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
 Image: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/03/17/penguins-beat-bruins-again-in-pittsburgh/sidney-crosby-tuukka-rask-zdeno-chara/
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.