- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Jaromir Jagr scores as Tuukka Rask blanks Devils
Posted By DJ Bean On April 4, 2013 @ 9:27 pm In General | 2 Comments
Jaromir Jagr got plenty of attention, but it was Tuukka Rask  who stole the show Thursday at TD Garden in a 1-0 Bruins win over the Devils.
Jagr, who was acquired by the B’s on Tuesday, scored the only goal in his Bruins debut, but it was Rask’s 40-save shutout performance that kept the Bruins in it. The win improved the Bruins to 24-8-4 on the season with 52 points through 36 games.
Up next for the Bruins is a meeting with the Canadiens in Montreal. Here’s what went for the B’s in the Thursday night win.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Well, Jagr was able to match Lane MacDermid‘s pace (MacDermid scored in his Stars debut Wednesday).
The 41-year-old definitely looked like he was still getting a feel for his linemates, as his goal actually came as the result of the second pass he failed to connect on with Brad Marchand . Jagr, perhaps mistaking the speedy Marchand for a very speedy Marchand, sent the puck just out of the left wing’s reach. Marchand caught up to and sent a centering pass in front, with the puck going off Jagr’s skate and in.
– Speaking of Jagr, the Bruins obviously brought him in with the idea that he’d help the power play, but how about this? Jagr played the entire two minutes of the Bruins’ second-period power play. Jagr played on both units, first with Tyler Seguin , Marchand and Nathan Horton  up front with Zdeno Chara  at the point, and then with David Krejci , Rich Peverley  and Milan Lucic  in front with Dougie Hamilton at the point. The B’s didn’t score on the man advantage, though it was a better showing with a few quality chances.
– Rask was definitely the Bruins’ top performer, as he turned in an exceptional performance behind some rather shaky defense. Rask’s finest work came in the first period, when he made a kick save on Alexei Ponikarovsky and followed it by stuffing David Clarkson on the rebound with his right pad.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– It wasn’t quite the 47 shots allowed Tuesday against the Senators, but the Bruins allowed 40 shots on goal Thursday. They’ve now given up 87 shots on goal over the last two games, though the opponents have combined for just two goals, both of which were scored by the Senators.
– Seguin, who centered the second line in Patrice Bergeron ‘s absence, looked like a wing trying to get comfortable playing a different position. It’s too soon to say he isn’t a fit for the job, but Seguin rightfully looked like he was adjusting after spending the entire season to this point at right wing.
Seguin went 0-for-3 on draws in first period and 2-for-5 in the second, which certainly was a far cry from the standard Bergeron has set by leading the league in faceoff efficiency. Claude Julien  had Rich Peverley  take draws in the defensive zone for Seguin early on, though Seguin was trusted with the responsibility in the second period and won a draw. Seguin finished the night 3-for-12 on faceoffs.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/04/04/jaromir-jagr-scores-as-tuukka-rask-blanks-devils/
URLs in this post:
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 > Jaromir Jagr scores as Tuukka Rask blanks Devils" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/04/04/jaromir-jagr-scores-as-tuukka-rask-blanks-devils/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.