- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins score season-high six goals to beat Hurricanes
Posted By DJ Bean On April 8, 2013 @ 9:42 pm In General | 12 Comments
Claude Julien ‘s revamped lines worked against the struggling Hurricanes, as the B’s got their best best offensive performance of the season and beat Carolina, 6-2, at TD Garden.
Brad Marchand  scored a pair of goals for the B’s, who jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first period thanks to his tallies and a goal from Rich Peverley , who got the B’s on the board. Boston added second-period goals from Andrew Ference  and Jordan Caron before the Hurricanes got on the board in the third period on tallies from Patrick Dwyer and Drayson Bowman. Nathan Horton  made it 6-2 with just over three minutes to play.
Dwyer’s goal broke up Tuukka Rask ‘s shutout bid with 9:57 left to play. Rask still made 40 saves in the win. The B’s chased Carolina starter Justin Peters after the first of Marchand’s two goals to make it 2-0, with Dan Ellis replacing him and allowing four goals in relief.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- If Claude Julien’s going to face criticism for demoting Tyler Seguin  to the third line in favor of Gregory Campbell , he should get credit for it paying off. Campbell had a pair of assists and was a plus-3 on the night, and his line with Marchand and Jaromir Jagr looked really good. All three players had multi-point nights, with Jagr also contributing a pair of assists.
Seguin’s numbers didn’t jump off the page (one shot on goal through the first two periods) and he had one rough shift that included a turnover and a missed opportunity on a breakout, but he would have had an assist had Chris Kelly  hit the net on a first-period scoring chance.
- The scoreboard suggested a blowout, but Rask had to work and come up with some big saves to have his shutout bid last as long as he did. He stopped 30 shots through two periods, the biggest of which came when he robbed Zac Dalpe all alone in front by getting his left pad on Dalpe’s bid.
The Hurricanes could have made it a two-goal game with less than seven minutes to play, but Rask came through with a split to stop Riley Nash.
- The Bruins first three goals came as a result of wraparounds. Peverley got control of the puck after missing the net and scored a wraparound goal to make it 1-0, with both of Marchand’s first-period goals also coming from wraparounds. First, Marchand sent the rebound of a Campbell bid past Peters, and he made it 3-0 when he beat Dan Ellis following a wraparound from Jagr.
- Ference put in the work in front and got a goal out of it. With Campbell feeding Dennis Seidenberg  at the point, Ference was plenty disruptive in front of Ellis, battling with Jamie McBain. Seidenberg’s shot went off Ference and in to make it 4-0.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
Seguin had one of lowest time-on-ice totals of the season. His lowest total of the season entering the night was 14:30, which came on Feb. 21 against the Lightning.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/04/08/bruins-score-season-high-six-goals-to-beat-hurricanes/
URLs in this post:
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://media.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 > Bruins score season-high six goals to beat Hurricanes" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/04/08/bruins-score-season-high-six-goals-to-beat-hurricanes/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.