- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Brad Marchand hurt as Bruins hang on vs. Devils
Posted By DJ Bean On April 10, 2013 @ 10:15 pm In General | 13 Comments
Gregory Campbell  had his first two-goal game of the season as the Bruins took over first place in the Northeast Division with a 5-4 win over the Devils Wednesday in New Jersey.
The Bruins had a 4-0 lead that was nearly blown when the Devils came within a goal with less than a minute to play, but Anton Khudobin and the B’s were able to fend off the comeback attempt.
Prior to Brad Marchand  leaving the game following a dirty hit (see below), the story of the game was Boston’s penalty kill. The Devils were unable to get a shot on goal during a 1:27 5-on-3, and Johnny Boychuk  jumped out of the box to get a breakaway on which he was hooked to set up a penalty shot. Boychuk was stopped by Martin Brodeur , but Daniel Paille  scored a shorthanded goal with Zdeno Chara  still in the box.
Later in the period, Campbell picked up his second of the game with a shorthanded tally, giving Boston a 3-0 lead after one. Zdeno Chara  increased the Bruins’ lead with a power-play goal at 3:06 of the second period, but goals from Patrik Elias and Travis Zajac (the latter of which was shorthanded) made it 4-2. Andy Greene brought the Devils within one before Tyler Seguin  picked up his first point in four games by beating Brodeur in front off a pass from Daniel Paille . Matt D’Agostini made it 5-4 with 37 seconds remaining.
The Bruins will return to Boston to host the Islanders on Thursday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- It turns out that the Campbell-Jagr combination was more than a flash in the pan. Jagr did all the work by simply toying with the Devils and firing a shot in front that yielded the rebound on which Campbell scored. The line of Campbell between Marchand and Jagr produced two goals Monday, and the second line kept up the goo work leading up to Marchand’s injury.
- Playing in his second game back after missing the previous 14 with a broken leg, Chris Kelly  looked like he hadn’t lost a step. Kelly played a key role in killing off eight penalties (his 6:32 of shorthanded time led Bruins forwards)
- Seguin had to deal with very limited ice time because the Bruins were playing shorthanded for so much of the contest (the B’s took eight minor penalties in the game, including two from Seguin in the third period), but it was good to see some production from him given the circumstances. Seguin, who does not kill penalties and was skating on the third line for the second straight game, played just 2:46 in the first period and had 8:17 of ice time through two periods.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Brad Marchand  left the game in the second period after taking an elbow to the head from Anton Volchenkov along the boards. Volchenkov will certainly hear from Brendan Shanahan about the hit (he was suspended in 2011 for three games after elbowing Zach Boychuk), but the big concern should be on Boston’s end. Patrice Bergeron  is already out with a concussion, and losing the team’s top goal-scorer in Marchand would be a really tough break for the Bruins.
- The Bruins obviously have a history of blowing leads this season, and they scored the first goals of the game before letting the Devils back in with three straight goals. Seguin’s third-period tally provided some much-needed space.
- A dreadful giveaway in the neutral zone allowed Zajac to take the puck, enter the Bruins’ zone and beat Anton Khudobin to make it 4-2 late in the second period. The play occurred with Boston on the power play, making it one of the ugliest moments of the season in an area that’s obviously had major issues for the Bruins.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/04/10/brad-marchand-hurt-as-bruins-hang-on-vs-devils/
URLs in this post:
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Martin Brodeur: http://media.weei.com/hockey/martin-brodeur.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 > Brad Marchand hurt as Bruins hang on vs. Devils" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/04/10/brad-marchand-hurt-as-bruins-hang-on-vs-devils/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.