- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins fall flat vs. Islanders
Posted By DJ Bean On April 11, 2013 @ 9:24 pm In General | 11 Comments
The Bruins continued their borderline stumble to the finish line of the regular season Thursday night with a 2-1 loss to the Islanders at TD Garden.
Josh Bailey had a two-goal performance in the win for the Islanders. He got New York on the board with 21 seconds left in the first period and gave them the lead again later in the second after Tyler Seguin  had tied with a power-play goal. Tuukka Rask  stopped 34 of 36 shots.
The Bruins will next play Saturday in Carolina.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Another bad game for Milan Lucic . One night after turning the puck over on the power play that led to a shorthanded goal, Lucic had multiple unforced turnovers, including one in the first period that led to sustained pressure from the Islanders. After getting the puck off a rebound from Rask, Lucic could have sent the puck out up the left side, but instead backhanded it across in front of Rask’s net and right to Kyle Okposo. The Islanders kept the puck in the zone for another 20 seconds or so but didn’t score. Lucic had just one shot on goal in the game.
– Rask made some tremendous saves, but he should have stopped both Islanders goals. Bailey’s shot on his first goal was a top-corner bullet that Rask could have nabbed, but the second goal was the real softy. Rask stopped Bailey on a 2-on-1, only to let the puck trickle into the net ever so slowly.
The numbers suggest that Rask should be a Vezina candidate, but he’s allowed some bad goals this season.
– Dougie Hamilton was a healthy scratch Thursday night, marking the first time that he hasn’t played in his rookie season.
– The primary assist on Bailey’s first-period goal came from none other than Mark Streit, and he picked up the secondary helper on Bailey’s second goal. The Islanders captain seemed like a logical fit for the B’s at the trade deadline, but the Islanders elected to hang onto the puck-moving defenseman and try to contend. Streit is a free agent at the end of the season.
– A good point from Mike Salk, who noted that it’s been quite a while since a Bruin has dropped the gloves. The last time was on Marchn 27, when Gregory Campbell  fought Travis Moen. Shawn Thornton  last fought on March 23, which was 10 games ago.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Gregory Campbell  and Jaromir extended their point streaks to three games by picking up assists on Seguin’s goal. Campbell now has two goals and three assists for five points over the last three contests, while Jagr has five assists in the span. Campbell was on the Bruins’ second power play unit in place of Milan Lucic .
– Adam McQuaid made his return to the Bruins’ lineup after missing the last 11 games with a shoulder strain. It wasn’t the prettiest return for McQuaid, as he was on the ice for both of Bailey’s goals and had a minus-2 rating on the game.
– For just the second time this season, the Bruins have had power play goals in consecutive games. Zdeno Chara  had a power-play tally on Wednesday against the Devils, with Seguin’s goal Thursday coming on the man advantage.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/04/11/bruins-fall-flat-vs-islanders/
URLs in this post:
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 > Bruins fall flat vs. Islanders" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/04/11/bruins-fall-flat-vs-islanders/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.