- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins put Northeast Division title in jeopardy in bad loss to Capitals
Posted By DJ Bean On April 27, 2013 @ 9:43 pm In General | 17 Comments
The Bruins blew a two-goal lead in the third period and put their division hopes in jeopardy with a 3-2 overtime loss to the Capitals.
With the B’s leading, 2-0, entering the third, Washington came back in the first eight minutes of the third with a pair of power-play goals from Mike Green . With Zdeno Chara  in the box in overtime, Eric Fehr scored on a rebound to give Washington the win. The B’s got goals from Milan Lucic  and Andrew Ference  in the first and second periods, respectively. Lucic also had an assist on Ference’s goal.
Though he brought the Capitals back to tie the game, Green ended up doing the Bruins a favor when he took a hooking penalty with 1:39 remaining and the teams already playing 4-on-4 with Brad Marchand  and Alexander Ovechkin in the box. The penalty gave the B’s a 4-on-3 through the end of regulation and the first 21 seconds of overtime, though they failed to score on the man advantage. Zdeno Chara  ended up taking a hooking penalty to give the league’s best power play a two-minute 4-on-3 in overtime, leading to Fehr’s game-winner.
The Canadiens were up big on the Maple Leafs in the third period when the Bruins and Capitals finished, so the B’s will presumably need two points Sunday against the Senators in order to win the Northeast Division.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– It was yet another blown lead in the third period for the Bruins, and the regularly with which they’ve done it is alarming this season.
– The B’s took three penalties in the first 10 minutes of a third period that began with the B’s holding a two-goal lead. Green got the Capitals on the board on a power play that came from an Adam McQuaid tripping penalty called at 5:11, and Rich Peverley  took a tripping penalty of his own just over a minute after Green’s goal first goal to set up Green’s game-tying strike.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– It took a bit of luck for Lucic to score his second goal in the last 15 games, as David Krejci  won a faceoff in the offensive zone and drew it back to Lucic. The left winger threw a shot on net and it went off the left leg of Karl Alzner and past Braden Holtby. It had to feel good for Lucic to get the goal any way he could, and the fact that it came at the embarassment of last year’s playoff nemesis in Alzner had to to be icing on the cake.
– Lucic may have gotten some luck on his goal, but he was active Saturday and played a big role in Boston’s second goal. Lucic took the puck through the neutral zone and fed Rich Peverley  entering the Capitals zone before going hard to the net. By the time Ference took a pass from Peverley and fired it on net, Braden Holtby had a hard time seeing it as it went past him. Additionally, Lucic finished second to Tyler Seguin  with four shots on goal.
– Though the two goals Rask allowed in a short span were two more than Rask had allowed in his last two starts combined, the Bruins’ starting netminder turned in another strong showing. The B’s wanted him to get hot at the right time and it appears he is doing just that.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/04/27/bruins-put-northeast-division-title-in-jeopardy-in-bad-loss-to-capitals/
URLs in this post:
 Mike Green: http://media.weei.com/hockey/mike-green.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://media.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Rich Peverley: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rich-peverley.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 > Bruins put Northeast Division title in jeopardy in bad loss to Capitals" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/04/27/bruins-put-northeast-division-title-in-jeopardy-in-bad-loss-to-capitals/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.