- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins get to Henrik Lundqvist in Game 2 win
Posted By DJ Bean On May 19, 2013 @ 5:45 pm In General | 20 Comments
The Bruins took a 2-0 series lead over the Rangers in the Eastern Conference semifinals with a 5-2 victory Sunday at TD Garden.
Unlike their previous two games, the B’s didn’t need overtime to secure the victory, as they added to a 3-2 lead entering the third period with goals from Brad Marchand  and Milan Lucic . The game marked the first time in 32 starts against the Bruins that Henrik Lundqvist  allowed more than three goals. The last time Lundqvist allowed five goals in a game was on March 9, 2011.
Torey Krug got the B’s on the board in the first period with his second goal in as many career NHL  playoff games, but Ryan Callahan  answered in short order by capitalizing on a Marchand turnover and some sluggish work from Dougie Hamilton. The B’s took a 2-1 lead on a goal from Gregory Campbell  off a rebound from a Krug shot, with the Rangers once again answering in short order on Rick Nash ‘s first goal of the postseason. Johnny Boychuk  gave the B’s a third lead with his third goal of the playoffs, and that was the lead that stuck.
The series will resume in New York, where the teams will play Game 3 on Tuesday and Game 4 on Thursday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- How about that defense? Boychuk’s goal marked the Bruins’ 11th goal from a defenseman in nine games this postseason.
- With three points in two games, the Bruins have to be thrilled with the production they’ve gotten from Krug. He’s put up such numbers while getting the least amount of ice time amongst Bruins’ blueliners, too, so he’s making the most of his time.
Though Krug is a strong skater and certainly is creating in the offensive zone, he’s still probably behind Matt Bartkowski when it comes to his likelihood of sticking in the lineup when everyone is healthy. Bartkowski finished third on the Bruins in time on ice again and is clearly the most likely to stick and should replace Wade Redden if and when the trio of injured defensemen are ready to go.
- Another game, another big performance from David Krejci . With two assists on Sunday, Krejci now has at least one point in eight of the Bruins’ nine postseason games and leads all players with 16 points (five goals, 11 assists).
- Though a negative trend also continued for Marchand (see below), he now has goals in two straight games after not scoring at all in the first round. That’s an encouraging sign for the B’s. Now they just need some production out of Tyler Seguin .
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- There’s a bit of a tendency on the Bruins’ end to not hold leads for long in this series. That kept up Sunday when the Bruins’ 1-0 lead lasted 2:33 and their 2-1 lead lasted only 56 seconds.
- For the second time two games, the Rangers capitalized on a Marchand miscue and turned it into a goal. After Marchand’s inability to get the puck deep early in the second period Thursday led to the Rangers’ second goal in Game 1, Marchand sent a pass off Callahan’s skates that he chased down, beating Hamilton on his way to the net before scoring to tie the game in the first period.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/05/19/bruins-get-to-henrik-lundqvist-in-game-2-win/
URLs in this post:
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Henrik Lundqvist: http://media.weei.com/hockey/henrik-lundqvist.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Ryan Callahan: http://media.weei.com/hockey/ryan-callahan.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Rick Nash: http://media.weei.com/hockey/rick-nash.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 > Bruins get to Henrik Lundqvist in Game 2 win" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/05/19/bruins-get-to-henrik-lundqvist-in-game-2-win/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.