- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
First period notes: Bruins 4, Penguins 1
Posted By Mike Petraglia On June 3, 2013 @ 9:17 pm In General | No Comments
Brad Marchand scored 28 seconds into Game 2 and scored with 8.3 seconds left in the period as the Bruins outclassed the Penguins, 4-1, in the opening 20 minutes. The Bruins jumped out to a 3-0 lead on goals by Marchand, Nathan Horton and David Krejci, chasing Tomas Vokoun from the Penguins net with 3:29 left in the first. Marc-Andre Fleury entered. After Brandon Sutter scored Pittsburgh’s first goal of the series with 33.8 seconds left in the first, Marchand scored 25 seconds later on the first shot on Fleury.
• Patrice Bergeron assisted on Brad Marchand’s second goal of the night for his 50th career NHL playoff point.
• Brad Marchand has two goals tonight, giving him 4-5=9 totals in six of his last eight games … It is his third multiple-point game of this post-season and the eighth of his playoff career.
• Nathan Horton has a goal and an assist tonight, extending his point streak to four games with 3-5=8 totals and giving him 4-7=11 totals in seven of his last eight games … It is his fifth multiple-point game of this post-season and the tenth of his playoff career.
• David Krejci has a goal tonight, giving him 3-6=9 totals in six of his last eight games and extending his league-leading 8-12=20 totals in 11 of his 14 post-season games.
• Patrice Bergeron has an assist tonight, giving him 2-5=7 totals in four of his last eight games.
• Torey Krug has an assist tonight, giving him 4-2=6 totals in five of his seven games played.
• Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke has an assist tonight, giving him four assists in four of his last five games.
• Tuukka Rask had his shutout streak snapped at 128 minutes, 47 seconds when Brandon Sutter scored at 19:26 of the first period tonight … His previous goal allowed was by NY Rangers’ Dan Girardi at 10:39 of the first period on May 25 in game 5 of the CSF.
• There have now been 11 goals scored in the first two minutes of a period in a Boston game this post-season (Toronto 5, Boston 4, NY Rangers 2).
LEADING / TRAILING / TIED AFTER FIRST:
• The Bruins lead the Penguins by a 4-1 score following the first period tonight.
• The Bruins are 3-0 this post-season when leading after the first period … They finished the regular season with a 13-2-2 record
when ahead after the first period.
• The Penguins are 2-1 this post-season when trailing after the first period … They finished the regular season with a 5-5-0 mark
when behind after the first period.
FIRST GOAL OF GAME:
• The Bruins scored the first goal of the game tonight when Brad Marchand scored at 28 seconds of the first period … The club record for fastest goal from the start of a game or period is ten seconds, which they have done twice … The fastest goal allowed by the Penguins from the start of a game was 14 seconds.
• The Bruins entered tonight’s game with a 5-2 record this post-season when scoring the first goal of the game … They finished the regular season with a 19-4-3 mark when netting the first goal of the game.
• The Penguins entered tonight’s game with a 3-2 mark this post-season when allowing the first goal of the game … They finished the regular season with a 25-6-0 record when yielding the first goal of the game.
• The Bruins are 0 for 1 on the power play following the first period tonight and they are now 7 for 37 on the power play in this post-season (18.9 percent) … They finished the regular season ranked 25th in the NHL at 18 for 122 on the power play (14.8 percent) and they allowed two shorthanded goals.
• The Penguins have not yet had a power play opportunity tonight and they are 13 for 50 on the power play in this post-season (26 percent) … They finished the regular season ranked 2nd in the NHL at 42 for 170 on the power play (24.7 percent) and they allowed three shorthanded goals.
• The Bruins have not yet had to kill a penalty tonight and they are 34 for 41 on the penalty kill this post-season (82.9 percent) … They finished the regular season ranked 4th in the NHL at 142 for 163 overall on the penalty kill (87.1 percent) and they scored five short- handed goals.
• The Penguins are 1 for 1 on the penalty kill following the first period tonight and they are now 40 for 44 on the pen- alty kill this post-season (90.9 percent) … They finished the regular season ranked 25th in the NHL at 133 for 167 on the penalty kill (79.6 percent) and they scored two shorthanded goals.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/06/03/first-period-notes-bruins-4-penguins-1/
URLs in this post:
 > First period notes: Bruins 4, Penguins 1" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/06/03/first-period-notes-bruins-4-penguins-1/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.