Media day extras: Jaromir Jagr is dyeing his playoff beard
|06.11.13 at 9:38 pm ET|
CHICAGO — Media day is a big mess.
A typical day of work for a reporter (take a game day, for example) is reporting followed by writing, followed by more reporting and then more writing. On media day, it’s just a marathon of reporting followed by a marathon of writing, so it’s easy to let stuff slip through the cracks. Here’s a bunch of that stuff:
– Jaromir Jagr is dyeing his playoff beard. When asked to confirm that, he responded, “Got to look tough.”
– Speaking of Jagr, Jonathan Toews said he modeled his game after Jagr’s when he was younger.
“You’ve got to tell him to slow down a little bit,” Jagr said when hearing of the praise. “He’s too quick for me.”
Jagr has a very good sense of humor about his age and speed. He knows that he’s old and slow, but he’s effective. He opened the press conference by asking reporters if they were surprised he was still alive.
– A reporter asked Tyler Seguin if he’s hit puberty after busting his chops for over his playoff beard. It was super, super, super, super weird.
– Peter Chiarelli was asked about the job the general managers before him did for the Bruins, and he had high praise for Mike O’Connell and Jeff Gorton, the latter of whom made the Andrew Raycroft-for-Tuukka Rask trade.
“Mike O’Connell I think did a terrific job with Jeff, that we’ve got at least half of our roster, I don’t know if it’s half, but including [Brad] Marchand, [Milan] Lucic, [David] Krejci, [Tim] Thomas at the time. I thought they did a real good job.
“I’ve told Mike that. Mike was gone, I was the GM, but Jeff was the interim GM. He executed those trades.”
– Cam Neely gave a comically strange answer when asked about how he felt when the Bruins were down by three goals in the third period of Game 7 against the Maple Leafs.
“I went from today’s texting world to the feeling of ‘OMG,’ ” he said. “Then when we won in overtime, the same feeling. You’re peeking at the clock. It feels like it’s going down faster than you’d like. But, again, go back to my point earlier about the character of the guys, they didn’t quit, they didn’t give up.”
- Grand Theft Czechoslovakia. Bruins win 3-2
- Loui Eriksson concussed; Chris Kelly, Shawn Thornton will not travel on...
- Video: Don Cherry talks about the Thornton and Orpik incident
- Public Skate Third Period: Bruins 1, Penguins 2
- Orpik hit on Eriksson and the Thornton hit on Orpik: Both are terrible
- Public Skate Second Period: Bruins 1, Penguins 2