A closer look at Bruins’ scoring — and Corey Crawford’s glove — in finals
|06.20.13 at 7:21 pm ET|
It's kind of awkward that the book is now out on Corey Crawford, and everyone knows it.
Glove side. Glove side, glove side, glove side. The Bruins have scored 12 goals in the Stanley Cup finals, and 10 of them have beaten the Blackhawks goaltender's glove. The Bruins played dumb on Thursday, a day after they scored four goals glove side on Crawford. Asked whether players might overthink it now when they want to go glove side and they know that Crawford knows they're thinking glove side, the smart alecky Brad Marchand cut off the question.
'I thought it was five-hole,' Marchand said with a straight face.
Yeah, no. Glove side. Always go glove side. Tyler Seguin joked that perhaps the B's will have to go stick side from now on to keep Crawford on his toes, but he tried that in overtime and it didn't work. Go glove side.
Here’s a breakdown of each Bruins goal scored this series — who scored it, where they beat Crawford, and which Blackhawks were on the ice.
Game 1: Lucic at right circle hashmarks glove side – Hjalmarrson, Sharp, Toews, Oduya, Hossa
Lucic slap shot glove side — Hjalmarsson, Handzus, Oduya, Bickell, Kane
Bergeron (PP) slap shot glove side — Keith, Hjalmarsson, Kruger, Handzus
Game 2: Kelly rebound of Paille shot, stick side with Crawford down — Leddy, Sharp, Handzus, Rozsival, Kane
Paille in overtime glove side wrist shot — Keith, Seabrook, Kruger, Bollig, Frolik
Game 3: Paille snap shot from right circle glove side — Leddy, Sharp, Smith, Rozsival, Bolland
Bergeron (PP) stick side from bottom of the circle — Seabrook, Toews, Oduya, Bolland
Game 4: Peverley (PP) glove side, Crawford missed it by a mile — Hjalmarsson, Saad, Handzus, Rozsival
Lucic backhand in front off Chara rebound glove side — Hjalmarsson, Sharp, Toews, Oduya, Kane
Bergeron (PP) rebound off glass in front, high glove — Seabrook, Kruger, Oduya, Frolik
Bergeron snap shot below glove — Hjalmarsson, Kruger, Oduya, Bolland, Shaw
Boychuk slap shot glove side — Hjalmarsson, Kruger, Oduya, Bolland, Shaw
Here are some takeaways and trends:
- Glove side.
- From rewatching the Bruins’ goals, it’s pretty interesting how little screens have had to do with beating Crawford. Unless you want to count Johnny Boychuk‘s goal in Game 4 as one, none of the Bruins’ goals have been from the point. Boychuk stepped up and was almost to the high slot by the time he released his shot. Nathan Horton was skating by late in the play, but Crawford saw Boychuk’s shot the whole way.
It hasn’t been about establishing bodies in front, but rather creating off turnovers (Chris Kelly‘s goal, Daniel Paille‘s goal in Game 3) and burying rebounds (Kelly’s goal, Lucic’s goal in Game 4, Bergeron’s goal in Game 4). Of course, burying rebounds as closely as the Bruins have means they’ve been getting to the front of the net, but they haven’t need to set up and screen Crawford so their D can beat him from the point.
- Even on the rebounds, the Bruins are going glove side. Watch Bergeron’s goal in the the second period of Game 4. The puck bounced off Crawford’s mask, off the glass and back over the net in front, but Bergeron’s instinct was still to go high glove rather than just trying to jam it in. These guys haven’t just read the book on Crawford. They’ve memorized it.
- No Bruins goals this series have been redirected past Crawford. They’re beating him cleanly.
- Niklas Hjalmarsson was on the ice for all three Bruins goals in Game 1 and four of their five goals in Game 4.
- Johnny Oduya was on the ice for four goals against in Game 4, as was Marcus Kruger.
- Andrew Shaw was not on the ice for a Bruins goal until Bergeron’s second goal in Game 4. He was also on the ice for Boychuk‘s game-tying tally.
- Bryan Bickell has been on the ice for only goal against in this series. Part of that can be explained by the fact that he was on the fourth line in Game 3 and wasn’t exactly playing against top scorers.
- Duncan Keith has been on the ice for two Bruins goals. Zdeno Chara has been on the ice for six Blackhawks goals.