Claude Julien to Jonathan Toews: ‘Try it again’ on Zdeno Chara
|06.22.13 at 2:14 pm ET|
CHICAGO — Bruins coach Claude Julien was very aware of the comments by Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews after Game 4. In the hours before Game 5 here Saturday, Julien said if Chicago thinks they can attack and expose Zdeno Chara, then go for it.
“I mean, they’re allowed their comments,” Julien said. “If that’s what they think, then they should try it again. A lot of people have tried to figure out Zdeno, and he’s the type of player he is. People talk about five goals against, but were they all his fault? None of them were his fault, actually.
Chara was a minus-3 on Wednesday night in Game 4 and was on the ice for five of the six Chicago goals, leading several Blackhawks – including Toews – to say they had success by not being intimidated by the 6-foot-9 36-year-old Bruins captain.
Julien said stats don’t mean nearly as much in the eyes of his coaching staff as the presence Chara provides on the ice.
“Just one of those situations where we feel he’s one of our best players on our team,” Julien said. “He’s one of the best defensemen in the league, so I don’t think there’s too many flaws in his game. But if they want to think that way, they’re entitled to it. I have no response to that except to know that my player is going to be good and ready tonight, and they can try it again if that’s what they think.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara