Jonathan Toews knocked out of Game 5 by Johnny Boychuk
|06.23.13 at 5:42 am ET|
CHICAGO — The NHL may be looking into discipline against Johnny Boyhuck for his second period hit on Jonathan Toews that knocked out the Blackhawks captain out of the third period of Game 5 Saturday night.
Toews played the rest of the second period and was on the bench for the third period but did not play in the final 20 minutes. Chicago coach Joel Quennville said Toews was “day-to-day” with an upper-body injury.
The Department of Player Safety reviews every hit, so league officer Brendan Shanahan, who was in attendance in the press box, will no doubt take a look.
Rick Nash hit Tomas Kopecky with a similar shot in March and was not disciplined. Given Boychuk’s reputation for delivering hard but clean hits, it’s likely Boychuk will be exonerated and will be on the ice for Game 6 at TD Garden Monday night.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara