- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Takeaways from Bruins’ preseason loss to Red Wings: Malcolm Subban has rough Garden debut
Posted By DJ Bean On September 19, 2013 @ 9:34 pm In General | 2 Comments
The Bruins took an 8-2 loss to the Red Wings in their third game of the preseason Thursday night. Here are some takeaways:
- Malcolm Subban let in eight goals, four of which came on Detroit’s first seven shots of the third period. Not a great Boston debut for Subban, but he’s years away from being an NHL  goaltender. One day he’ll look back on this game and laugh, although the bronx cheers from the Garden crowd every time he made a save in the third period weren’t so encouraging.
- Both Nick Johnson  and Jarome Iginla picked up their third goal in two preseason games played thus far. While Iginla’s goal was the work of Matt Bartkowski (see below), Johnson took a nice feed from Ryan Spooner in the high slot and turned in some nifty stick work before backhanding it top shelf past Jimmy Howard in the third period.
- Gregory Campbell  didn’t seem limited at all in his return. He said after the game he didn’t take much contact, but that was more of a criticism of his game than an admission that he was taking it easy.
- Rebound goals were all the rage for the Red Wings in the first period, as both of their tallies came on the doorstep following a Malcolm Subban save. Justin Abdelkader put in his own rebound on the power play for Detroit’s first goal, while a shot from the point on a delayed penalty later in the first yielded a Luke Glendening bid that resulted in a rebound that David McIntyre put past Subban.
- The Bruins seem set with a first power play configuration of David Krejci  and Torey Krug at the points, Jarome Iginla and Milan Lucic  up front and Zdeno Chara  in front of the net. With the Bruins getting a 50-second 5-on-3 in the second period, the B’s kept the same personnel but switched Iginla and Krejci, putting Iginla on the point.
- Torey Krug has said throughout the preseason that he hasn’t earned anything, but, um’¦ he has. In addition to looking strong in the offensive zone, Krug did something he’s only done once as a professional when he dropped the gloves in the second period. Krug made quick work of David McIntyre, who has three inches on the 5-foot-9 Krug. Later on, Krug and Jordin Tootoo got tangled up in a scrum in the third period.
- Matt Bartkowski continues to look like someone who’s going to be screwed by the fact that he’s a left shot unless the Bruins are willing to get creative with their lineup. Bartkowski was one of the Bruins’ best players Thursday and he picked up the primary assist on Jarome Iginla’s second goal of the preseason. The 25-year-old blueliner borough the puck from the point to the bottom of the circle, where he tossed the puck off Iginla’s skate and in.
Two years ago, Bartkowski probably doesn’t even skate that puck down out of fear of getting the puck stolen and caught deep in the opponent’s zone. He is beyond NHL-ready; it’s just going to be hard to get him into the lineup.
- Speaking of commenting on every defenseman that played, it wasn’t the prettiest night for Adam McQuaid, who probably could have done more in front with McIntyre and Glendening on Detroit’s second goal.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/09/19/takeaways-from-bruins-preseason-loss-to-red-wings-malcolm-subban-has-rough-garden-debut/
URLs in this post:
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Henrik Zetterberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/henrik-zetterberg.htm
 Pavel Datsyuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pavel-datsyuk.htm
 Nick Johnson: http://media.weei.com/baseball/nick-johnson.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 > Takeaways from Bruins’ preseason loss to Red Wings: Malcolm Subban has rough Garden debut" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/09/19/takeaways-from-bruins-preseason-loss-to-red-wings-malcolm-subban-has-rough-garden-debut/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.