- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Torey Krug, Zdeno Chara lead Bruins past Red Wings
Posted By DJ Bean On October 5, 2013 @ 9:32 pm In General | 10 Comments
The Bruins gave the Red Wings quite the welcome to the Eastern Conference Saturday, beating them 4-1 behind a strong showing on the power play by Torey Krug and Zdeno Chara .
Krug got the B’s on the board in the first period when he sent a slapshot past Jimmy Howard with Chara screening. Henrik Zetterberg  tied it on a rebound from a Justin Abdelkader shot, while the Bruins got goals from Brad Marchand  and Jordan Caron in the second period. Chara then scored his first goal of the year, taking a pass from Krug on the power play and beating Howard with a deke.
The B’s will be off until Thursday, when they host the Avalanche.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Mark down another very good game for Jordan Caron and the third line. Caron, battling in the high slot, tipped an Adam McQuaid slapshot over to Reilly Smith, who gave it back to Caron to set up Caron’s first goal of the season in the second period. Caron, who played very well in place of the injured Carl Soderberg (ankle) had a goal wrongfully waved off in the season-opener, so count two goals, one goal that counted and two very strong performances from Caron.
At this rate, that line has played so well that the B’s shouldn’t rush Soderberg back. Even if Soderberg’s good to go, the B’s shouldn’t disrupt the line by taking Caron off it.
– Want a good laugh? That first-period power-play blast was Torey Krug’s first career regular-season NHL  goal, as all four of his goals at the NHL  came during the playoffs, specifically against the Rangers in the Eastern Conference semifinals.
– Krug’s goal was exactly why Zdeno Chara  is put up front on the power play. Howard had no chance at Krug’s missilee from the point, as the only body in front was Chara, but that was plenty enough to screen Howard and let Krug’s shot sail past the Detroit netminder.
– Though it allowed a goal, you can see chemistry with Patrice Bergeron’s line growing over times. For example, a first-period opportunity was blown when Loui Eriksson went through the neutral zone with the puck on the left side, and with Marchand on the right and waiting for him to catch up, the two seemed to get their wires crossed as they tried to get back on their respective sides. On Marchand’s second-period goal, however, he flew down the right wing and, with Bergeron driving the net, rifled it past Howard with no problem.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– There was quite the injury scare when Abdelkader hit an unsuspecting Marchand in the Bruins’ zone. Abdelkader left his feet and hit Marchand from the side, with Marchand falling to the ice and staying down for about a minute before being helped off by Patrice Bergeron. Reilly Smith skated in Marchand’s place for the one shift he missed, as Marchand returned in short order and stayed in the game.
– Note that Zetterberg’s goal came with the Pavel Datsyuk  line out against Patrice Bergeron’s line and Chara’s pairing. Bergeron’s line returned the favor on Marchand’s goal, but that will be a tough matchup throughout the season series.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/10/05/torey-krug-zdeno-chara-lead-bruins-past-red-wings/
URLs in this post:
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Henrik Zetterberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/henrik-zetterberg.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl-hockey.htm
 Pavel Datsyuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pavel-datsyuk.htm
 > Torey Krug, Zdeno Chara lead Bruins past Red Wings" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/10/05/torey-krug-zdeno-chara-lead-bruins-past-red-wings/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.