- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Tuukka Rask picks up shutout as Bruins rout Lightning
Posted By DJ Bean On October 19, 2013 @ 9:37 pm In General | 11 Comments
The Bruins bounced back from a couple of wonky outings this week by routing the Lightning, 5-0, in Tampa on Saturday night in Tuukka Rask ‘s first shutout of the season.
The Bruins, who improved to 5-2-0 on the season with the win, got a goal from every line and saw both Adam McQuaid and Shawn Thornton  register their first goals of the season. Rask, who has started each game so far this season, made 23 saves in the victory.
David Krejci  opened the scoring 1:32 into the game on a goal assisted by Milan Lucic  and Jarome Iginla. McQuaid made it 2-0 in the second period with a wrist shot from the point, and the B’s got two goals in a 15-second span with Reilly Smith feeding Patrice Bergeron  for the third goal of the game and Chris Kelly  taking a pass from Brad Marchand  and scoring to chase Ben Bishop. The Tampa goalie and UMaine product had allowed two goals or less in each of his previous five starts.
Thornton then scored his first of the season, beating Anders Lindback top shelf with a wrist shot to make it 5-0 just 34 seconds into the third period.
Carl Soderberg, who had missed the first six games of the season with an ankle injury, made his season debut. Soderberg played on the third line with Kelly and Marchand, while Jordan Caron was a healthy scratch. Matt Bartkowski sat to allow McQuaid’s return to the lineup.
The Bruins will next play Wednesday in Buffalo and will return to TD Garden Thursday to host the Sharks.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Soderberg looked very good in his season debut, playing well on the third line and seeing time on the Bruins’ second power play unit. Though he registered no shots on goal, he was very active offensively and made a nice move in going around a Tampa defender on a 3-on-2 with Smith and Loui Eriksson.
– Claude Julien  has returned two defensemen to the lineup after scratching them and has gotten a goal each time. A game after Dougie Hamilton returned to the lineup and scored in a game in which McQuaid was scratched, McQuaid came back Saturday and scored.
– Kelly had just three goals in 38 regular-season games last season, but with his second-period goal Saturday he has already matched that total. Kelly’s been turning in strong play with what’s been a revolving door of linemates, but it would be interesting to see a Marchand-Kelly-Soderberg line stick for a bit.
– Rask has now allowed one goal in two games against the offensively terrifying Lightning. Among his 23 saves on the night was a nice glove-save point blank right in front on Steven Stamkos in the third.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Maybe Marchand wants to be more physical, more of a pest or more of whatever, but taking two penalties isn’t the way to get out of what’s been a season-long funk for the former 28-goal-scorer. Marchand was penalized in each of the first two periods, both of which were for slashing.
– Iginla still has no goals on the season, but he turned in a very strong performance. Iginla provided the screen on McQuaid’s goal and was part of what was a solid showing for Krejci’s line. The veteran winger also dropped the gloves when he fought Radko Gudas in the third period.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/10/19/tuukka-rask-picks-up-shutout-as-bruins-rout-lightning/
URLs in this post:
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 > Tuukka Rask picks up shutout as Bruins rout Lightning" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/10/19/tuukka-rask-picks-up-shutout-as-bruins-rout-lightning/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.