- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins blow lead late, lose to Devils
Posted By DJ Bean On October 26, 2013 @ 9:42 pm In General | 2 Comments
It wasn’t quite as painful as the last time it happened, but the Bruins gave up two quick goals with less than a minute and a half to play, blowing a lead and losing, 4-3, to the Devils Saturday at TD Garden.
The Devils scored a 6-on-3 goal with 1:08 left in regulation, tying the game with their third power-play goal of the night. The Devils found themselves on a man advantage for the final minutes of regulation on a Krug high-sticking double-minor taken with less than four minutes to play. Then, with 1:49 remaining, Patrice Bergeron  took a delay of game penalty for flipping the puck out from the defensive zone, leading to a Marek Zidlicky goal to tie the game.
The Bruins got on the board with a power-play goal from Torey Krug at 7:52 of the first period. Jarome Iginla followed that up with his second goal in as many games, sending a puck in front of the net from down low and seeing it bounce off Damien Brunner’s skate and past Martin Brodeur . The Devils were able to get on the board with a power play goal from Adam Henrique at 11:24, but Milan Lucic  increased Boston’s lead back to two with his team-leading sixth goal of the seasonal 19:04. Brunner helped close the gap for the Devils with a puzzling power play goal that snuck past Tuukka Rask’s stick side late in the second period
The Bruins will next play Wednesday, when they travel to Pittsburgh to face the Penguins .
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– As has been the case a couple times this season, the Bruins seemed to play down to their opponent in a rather sloppy outing against a team that came in here with just win on the season. Saturday’s game was somewhat reminiscent of last Thursday’s game in Florida in which the B’s led the Panthers hang around before winning late in the third period.
– For the first time this season, the Bruins allowed multiple power play goals in a game. This came on a night in which two of the Bruins’ penalties were to Zdeno Chara . The Devils got their second power-play goal off a Chara delay of game penalty, with Chara also going off for interference at 5:27 of the third period. All four of New Jersey’s goals came on the power play.
– Tuukka Rask has been stellar for the Bruins this season, but he had a rather shaky night Saturday. Hnerique’s goal came off a juicy rebound, while Brunner’s goal was particularly rough. Rask thought he had sealed off the post on a tough-angle shot from Brunner but let the puck sneak through. Rask reacted as you’d expect him to on such a goal, reaching into the net with his blocker, throwing the puck halfway to the blue line and banging his stick on the ice.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Another game, another big night for Krejci’s line. With two assists on the night, Krejci now has 10 points (two goals, eight assists) over a seven-game point streak. Furthermore, he has points in nine of the Bruins’ 10 games thus far. That type of consistency is just the thing you want to see out of a player known for being rather streaky in the regular season.
– Krug now has three power play goals on the season, proving he’s a weapon on the man advantage they haven’t had in the past. Consider that four goals on the power play was good enough for the team lead during the lockout-shortened season, as Brad Marchand  and Tyler Seguin  had four apiece.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/10/26/bruins-blow-lead-late-lose-to-devils/
URLs in this post:
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Martin Brodeur: http://media.weei.com/hockey/martin-brodeur.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tyler Seguin: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tyler-seguin.htm
 > Bruins blow lead late, lose to Devils" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/10/26/bruins-blow-lead-late-lose-to-devils/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.