- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Senators score four unanswered to beat Bruins
Posted By DJ Bean On November 15, 2013 @ 10:11 pm In General | 18 Comments
The Senators came back from a 2-0 deficit with four consecutive goals to beat the Bruins, 4-2, Friday night in Ottawa.
The B’s still had the lead entering the third period, but three goals in 8:39 for the Senators left the Senators in the driver’s seat on a night in which the B’s faded as the game went on. It was the Senators’ first win in Ottawa over the Bruins in their last 12 meetings.
Things were looking up for the Bruins when they took a 2-0 lead on goals from Loui Eriksson and Brad Marchand , both of which saw Matt Bartkowski pick up the primary assists in his first-career multi-point game, but a Torey Krug giveaway in the final mine of the opening period allowed Chris Neil to send the Senators into the first intermission trailing by just one.
After the teams skated to a scoreless second period, Jason Spezza tied it in the third and the Senators took the lead on a Jared Cowen slapshot on a play on which Tuukka Rask  appeared to be screened by Johnny Boychuk . Bobby Ryan made it 4-2 after stealing the puck from Reilly Smith in the Bruins’ zone and firing it past Rask.
Craig Anderson made 30 for the Senators, while Rask had 24 saves on the night. It was the first time Rask had allowed more than three goals since Oct. 26.
The B’s will remain on the road with games against the Hurricanes and Rangers on Monday and Tuesday, respectively.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The positives with Krug are obvious, but he’s had a couple of bad turnover the last two games. He wasn’t burned on his turnover in the defensive zone in overtime Thursday thanks to Chad Johnson  bailing him out, but he was Friday when his blind pass in the final minute of the first period resulted in Neil’s goal.
– In general, it was rough night for that pairing. Dennis Seidenberg  lost his stick in the defensive zone on the Senators’ possession on which they scored they tied the game.
Furthermore, a Seidenberg whiff on a puck at the point allowed Neil and the Senators to go the other way for a 3-on-2, but Rask stopped Zack Smith‘s shot.
– In case there’s anyone who didn’t know what an offensive threat Bobby Ryan is, he showed it in the third period. In addition to his goal following a steal off Smith, Ryan picked David Krejci ‘s pocket in the offensive zone and had Tuukka Rask  deked, though he missed the net.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– In killing off a Carl Soderberg hooking penalty in the second period and Jarome Iginla charging penalty in the final minutes, the Bruins have been perfect on the PK for 28 straight penalties. The last power play goal they allowed was Oct. 30 against the Penguins .
– Bartkowski was perhaps the brightest spot in a very good first period — scratch that, first 19 minutes — for the B’s. In addition to his shot that deflected off a couple bodies and past Anderson, the B’s were able to cash in on Marchand’s goal thanks to a nice move from Bartkowski at the blue line before dishing it to Marchand.
– The Bruins also got a really strong first period from Marchand, who played very well Monday against the Lightning but struggled again Thursday. He made a nice play early on in the first period where he got up from a hit at the dot in the offensive zone, retained the puck and sent it to Patrice Bergeron  in the high slot, with Bergeron firing off a quality slapshot that was stopped by Anderson.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/11/15/bruins-fade-as-senators-score-four-unanswered-in-win/
URLs in this post:
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Chad Johnson: http://media.weei.com/football/chad-johnson.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://media.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 > Senators score four unanswered to beat Bruins" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/11/15/bruins-fade-as-senators-score-four-unanswered-in-win/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.