- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
David Krejci bails Bruins out in overtime
Posted By DJ Bean On November 23, 2013 @ 3:39 pm In General | 2 Comments
The Bruins let the Hurricanes hang around in a game they had no business being in, but the B’s got away with a 3-2 overtime win thanks to a David Krejci  goal off a feed from Jarome Iginla.
The goal was Krejci’s first point in six games and improved the B’s to an Eastern Conference-best 32 points on the season.
Carolina came back to tie the game in the third period on a Patrick Dwyer shorthanded goal off a Milan Lucic  turnover, sending the game into overtime despite the fact that the B’s had carried the play through the first 40 minutes.
The Hurricanes got on the board in the first period when, with Carl Soderberg in the box for hooking, Andrej Sekera fired a wrist shot from the point that sailed past Chad Johnson . The B’s answered back with a power play goal of their own, as Zdeno Chara  was in front to pick up a rebound off a Lucic shot and put it past Cam Ward .
From there, the Bruins dominated play to the tune of registering 15 consecutive shots on goal, including Reilly Smith‘s fourth goal of the season at 13:31 of the second period. Though the B’s entered the third period with a one-goal lead, they easily could have led by two or three goals in a game that saw missed opportunities pile up.
The Bruins will finish their three-game home stand Monday when they host the Penguins . As of the end of Saturday’s Bruins game, the B’s and Penguins  are currently first and second in the Eastern Conference, respectively.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Chris Kelly’s line turned in another strong performance as the B’s continued to get production from their bottom-six forwards. Smith’s goal was meant that prior to Krejci’s goal, the last five forwards to score for the B’s were from bottom-six forwards. The B’s got goals from Shawn Thornton  and Daniel Paille  Tuesday against the Rangers, while Gregory Campbell  and Soderberg provided the team’s goals Thursday against the Blues.
- The Bruins dominated the first two periods, so much so that the Hurricanes went 22:43 without a shot on goal. That’s the amount of time that came between a Jeff Skinner shot midway through the first and Eric Staal‘s slapshot on Johnson for the Hurricanes’ first shot on goal of the second period.
The Bruins held a 15-0 shots on goal advantage during that span.
- The Bruins got away with one in the second period when Chara slashed and snapped the stick of Jiri Tlusty while the Carolina forward was on a breakaway. There was no call on the play.
- Chris Kelly appears to be better after splitting faceoff responsibilities with Soderberg Thursday due to an undisclosed injury. Kelly took all of his line’s draws Saturday and won 11 of 16 in regulation.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR BRUINS
- Hopefully Johnson was screened on Sekera’s goal, for his sake. Both Brad Marchand  and Chara seemed to obstruct his view, which would explain why the puck sailed in so easily.
Other than that, there were no issues with Johnson. Of course, he was hardly tested, as Tlusty’s breakaway wold have been his biggest challenge, but it ended prematurely. You obviously can’t blame a goalie for a shorthanded 2-on-0.
- File this under unknown: The B’s appeared dodged an injury bullet, as Torey Krug seemed hobbled after blocking a shot late in the third period. He went down the tunnel, but returned to the bench. He did not return to the ice, however. Krug noted after the game that he was fine.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/11/23/david-krejci-bails-bruins-out-in-overtime/
URLs in this post:
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://media.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Chad Johnson: http://media.weei.com/football/chad-johnson.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Cam Ward: http://media.weei.com/hockey/cam-ward.htm
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://media.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://media.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://media.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://media.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 > David Krejci bails Bruins out in overtime" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/11/23/david-krejci-bails-bruins-out-in-overtime/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.