- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Reilly Smith scores game-winner as Bruins come from behind vs. Flames
Posted By DJ Bean On December 11, 2013 @ 12:09 am In General | 16 Comments
David Krejci  broke up Reto Berra’s shutout bid on a power play by tipping a Torey Krug shot past the Flames goaltender with 6:11 remaining. Shortly after, Reilly Smith capped a rush by beating Berra to make it 2-1.
Jiri Hudler got the Flamers on the board in the second period with a wrist shot from the outside that beat Tuukka Rask . The teams hit the second intermission with the Flames outshooting the B’s, 22-9, as the Bruins mustered just five and four shots on goal in the first and second periods, respectively.
Rask made 26 saves in the win, helping keep the game a one-goal contest until the Bruins were able to find some offense in the third.
The Bruins’ road trip will continue Thursday when the B’s take on the Oilers in Edmonton.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– As was expected, the Saddledome was all about Jarome Iginla Tuesday night. In addition to a nice pre-game ceremony and video tribute, the longtime Flames captain was named the game’s third star so he could take another postgame lap around the ice. As he tried to get off the ice, his Bruins teammates stood at the door and pushed him back out, making him take three laps in front of a roaring crowd that included his parents.
– Claude Julien  switched up the Bruins’ second and third lines in the third period by putting Smith back on the third line with Spooner and Soderberg. Spooner fed Smith before he took off on the rush on which he scored the game-winner.
– Johnny Boychuk  returned from a back sprain for the B’s, which is a good sign for a team that is seeing its players drop like flies.
– Kevan Miller was once again used with the opponent having their goalie pulled. The B’s used him there with Zdeno Chara  against the Penguins  two weeks ago, but unlike when Sidney Crosby  tied it in that game, the B’s closed the door against the Flames.
– The Bruins woke up for the third period after a sluggish opening 40 minutes. After killing off the remainder of a too-many-men penalty, the B’s opened the third period by getting 10 of the first 11 shots on goal.
– Old friend Joe Colborne didn’t help the B’s a ton by helping land them Tomas Kaberle , but he helped them Tuesday when he took the delay of game penalty that led to Krejci’s goal.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Hudler’s goal was not the Bruins’ finest moment. The play started when Reilly Smith couldn’t get the puck deep into the Calgary zone, and after the puck went the other way and Dennis Seidenberg  kept Hudler to the outside, Rask couldn’t grab Hudler’s wrist shot glove side.
– What has three forwards and can’t win faceoffs? Boston’s third line. Ryan Spooner got off to another awful start in the faceoff circle, losing his first five draws, and saw Carl Soderberg take over responsibilities for the second straight game. Soderberg lost two of three he took in the second period, with the line hitting the second intermission 1-for-8 at the dot. Spooner finally won his first draw of the last two games about midway through the third period.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/12/11/reilly-smith-scores-game-winner-as-bruins-come-from-behind-vs-flames/
URLs in this post:
 Flames: http://media.weei.com/hockey/calgary-flames.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Claude Julien: http://media.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://media.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Penguins: http://media.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Sidney Crosby: http://media.weei.com/hockey/sidney-crosby.htm
 Tomas Kaberle: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tomas-kaberle.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://media.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 > Reilly Smith scores game-winner as Bruins come from behind vs. Flames" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/12/11/reilly-smith-scores-game-winner-as-bruins-come-from-behind-vs-flames/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.