- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Sabres outlast Bruins in Buffalo
Posted By DJ Bean On December 19, 2013 @ 9:36 pm In General | 25 Comments
The Bruins were outlasted by Sabres Thursday as they took a 4-2 loss to Buffalo at First Niagara Center.
Drew Stafford broke a 2-2 tie with under six minutes to go in regulation by beating Chad Johnson  on a wraparound. Tyler Myers made it 4-2 just 80 seconds later, giving the Sabres a win and Johnson his first loss in his last six starts. Johnson allowed two goals on five third-period shots.
The Sabres jumped out to a 1-0 lead on a shorthanded goal from Brian Flynn, but two goals from Brad Marchand  gave the B’s a 2-1 lead in the second period until the Sabres tied it on a puck that bounced off Marcus Foligno and past Chad Johnson .
Ryan Miller  denied Marchand on multiple bids for a hat trick and made 30 saves in the victory for the Sabres.
The Bruins have two games left before the holiday break, as they’ll host the Sabres Saturday and face the Predators next Monday in Nashville .
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Johnson’s been beaten a couple times this season on wraparounds, so the B’s will have to hope the book isn’t out on capitalizing on their backup goaltender’s lack of mobility. It certainly cost them Thursday.
- Johnny Boychuk  couldn’t keep the puck in the offensive zone during the power play on which the Sabres scored. With Boychuk unable to keep it in, Flynn caught up with the puck in the neutral zone and raced to the net on a breakaway before beating Johnson with a backhander.
- Patrice Bergeron  took a pair of hooking penalties, twice leaving the B’s to kill a penalty without one of the top penalty killers in the league. Fortunately for the Bruins, they did just fine on the PK, killing off both Bergeron penalties and scoring a goal with Bergeron on a second-period PK.
- Torey Krug’s dip in production continues, as he now he now has one goal over his last 11 games. Krug took a first-period penalty for holding Stafford.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Marchand had a better game and got results out of it. His second goal of the night was something of an accident, as he didn’t get good wood on his one-timer, but that caused the puck to waffle as it made its way past Miller stick-side high.
That was also Marchand’s second shorthanded goal of the last five games. He still has only four even-strength goals on the season, but scoring twice in a night might be the type of thing that gets more production.
- Not necessarily something that went right, but Matt Fraser reminded the B’s that he can do more than score at the AHL level when he dropped the gloves with Foligno. Fraser fought throughout his days in the WHL and has fought four times in the AHL.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/12/19/sabres-outlast-bruins-in-buffalo/
URLs in this post:
 Chad Johnson: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/chad-johnson-hockey.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Chad Johnson: http://audio.weei.com/football/chad-johnson.htm
 Ryan Miller: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/ryan-miller.htm
 Nashville: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/nashville-predators.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 > Sabres outlast Bruins in Buffalo" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/12/19/sabres-outlast-bruins-in-buffalo/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.