Trade Deadline: Pirates reportedly interested in Athletics’ Conor Jackson, Josh Willingham
|07.18.11 at 9:39 am ET|
Just a half-game behind the Brewers, the Pirates are looking to add offense to a pitching rotation that already leads the NL Central in lowest ERA. The Pirates may try to find that offense in Oakland, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick tweeted Sunday. Specifically, they’ve asked about first baseman Conor Jackson and left fielder Josh Willingham.
Jackson is batting .249 with just 3 home runs and 27 RBIs, but the Pirates’ Lyle Overbay, their only healthy first baseman, is only performing slightly better, batting .240 with seven home runs and 35 RBIs. Jackson is tied for seventh among AL first basemen with 23 walks, with a .323 OBP that is better than Overbay’s.
Willingham would provide the Pirates with some power, batting .244 with 12 home runs, and 46 RBIs. He ranks second among AL left fielders in home runs with a minimum of 250 plate appearances, is third in RBIs and third in slugging at .434.
Left field is another position where the Pirates only have one healthy player: Alex Presley. While Presley is an on-base machine, batting .343 with a .400 OBP in 16 games, he’s hit just one home run this season and driven in nine.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles