- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
New Year’s reso-losin’: Bruins PK can’t keep up with penalties vs. Islanders
Posted By DJ Bean On December 31, 2013 @ 9:44 pm In General | 26 Comments
The Bruins allowed four power-play goals as the Islanders handed them a 5-3 loss Tuesday night at TD Garden.
John Tavares scored 32 seconds into the third period — the Islanders’ only even-strength goal on the night — to break the 3-3 tie and added a power play tally at 13:17 to make it 5-3. The goal capped a four-goal run that saw them come back from a 3-1 deficit.
David Krejci  put home his own rebound for the only goal of the first period, and though Frans Nielson tied it on the power play at 5:56 of the second period, Patrice Bergeron  and and Daniel Paille  scored within 25 seconds of one another to make it 3-1. Bergeron’s goal came from the high slot on the power play, with Paille tipping a Zdeno Chara  shot from the point.
Things went downhill from there, as Torey Krug took a bad boarding penalty to set up an Islanders power play goal in which Nielson fired a puck that had bounced off Chara’s skate past Tuukka Rask . The Bruins were able to kill off an ill-advised Milan Lucic  cross-checking penalty, but the Islanders got their third power goal of the game with three seconds left in the second period during a Rask delay of game penalty.
It was the second game this season in which the Bruins allowed four power play goals. The B’s also surrendered four power-play tallies to the Devils on Oct. 26.
The Bruins, who should resolve to not play like they did Tuesday in 2014, will return to action Thursday at TD Garden against the Predators.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- The Bruins spent far more time on the penalty kill than they would have liked in the second period, as Matt Bartkowski, Torey Krug, Milan Lucic  and Tuukka Rask  all took penalties in the second period. None of them were anything to write home about, though Rask’s delay of game penalty for sending the puck over the glass can be chalked up to bad luck.
In particular, Krug’s boarding penalty (taken right in front of an official) and Lucic’s cross-check to Colin McDonald were the most avoidable. Brad Marchand  using his stick to slam Ryan Strome into the boards wasn’t a great idea either.
- Lucic was not a happy camper when he was given a boarding minor, an unspportsmanlike conduct minor and a 10-minute misconduct at 16:03 of the third.
- The Bruins were victims of some bad bounces and strange goals, and oddly enough Zdeno Chara  was on the ice for the first four goals against. Only Nielson’s second goal could be directly traced back to the captain, but it was still unusual to see No. 33 out there for so many goals against.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Krejci remains very productive at TD Garden, with five goals and seven assist for 12 points in his last nine home games.
- With Bergeron’s 10th goal of the season, the Bruins now have four 10-goal-scorers. They consist of Reilly Smith (14), Jarome Iginla and Milan Lucic  (12), and Bergeron. Of the top-10 scoring teams in the league, the Blackhawks and Coyotes lead the way with six players with 10 goals, while the Blues, Ducks and Sharks have five.
It appeared that Chara (nine goals) also had his 10th when Paille’s goal was initially credited to the Bruins captain, but there was a scoring change made between the second and third period.
- The Bruins lucked out on a near-goal by the Islanders in the first period. After Rask made a toe save and fell backwards without knowing where the puck was, Cal Clutterbuck put the puck in the net, but the whistle had already been blown.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/12/31/new-years-reso-losin-bruins-pk-cant-keep-up-with-penalties-vs-islanders/
URLs in this post:
 David Krejci: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 > New Year’s reso-losin’: Bruins PK can’t keep up with penalties vs. Islanders" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/12/31/new-years-reso-losin-bruins-pk-cant-keep-up-with-penalties-vs-islanders/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.