- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Brad Marchand scores overtime winner as Bruins beat Predators
Posted By DJ Bean On January 2, 2014 @ 9:40 pm In General | 10 Comments
Niklas Svedberg won his first career NHL  start, stopping 33 shots in a 3-2 Bruins overtime win over the Predators Thursday night at TD Garden.
Brad Marchand  netted the game-winner 54 seconds into overtime after slipping past a defender at the top of the left circle. The win snapped a two-game losing streak for the Bruins.
After a scoreless first period, Viktor Stalberg opened the game’s scoring by burying a Mike Fisher rebound past Svedberg at 18:04 of the second. The Bruins tied it less than five minutes into the third on a Johnny Boychuk  wrist shot, with Jarome Iginla giving the Bruins the lead by going hard to the net and tipping a feed from Milan Lucic  past Marek Mazenec for his 13th goal of the season. Shea Weber  tied it by getting to a rebound in the high slot and firing it past Svedberg with just over five minutes remaining in regulation.
The Bruins saw the return of both Dougie Hamilton and Carl Soderberg from injuries. Hamilton, who had been out since Dec. 8, skated on the team’s top pairing with Zdeno Chara  while Soderberg returned to his usual spot on the third line left wing after missing the last two games.
The Bruins will host the Jets Saturday at TD Garden before embarking on a three-game west coast road trip.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Spooner showed more of the willingness along the walls than had been seen with skilled young players around these parts in recent years. Spooner passed the puck to himself along the wall in the Boston zone in the third period to slip past Stalberg before taking the puck through the neutral zone and feeding Boychuk to get the Bruins on the board.
- Matt Bartkowski may have made the best save of the first period, as Matt Hendricks had what seemed like ages with the puck in front and an open net, but he took too long and gave Bartkowski time to lay out and stop the shot with his arm. Bartkowski led all Bruins in ice time through two periods with 16:12.
- With Iginla’s goal, which was assisted by Lucic and David Krejci , all three members of the Bruins’ first line have points in the last six games. Krejci now has five goals and eight assists for 13 points over his last 10 home games.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Daniel Paille  took his first penalty of the season when he was sent off for tripping Ryan Ellis at 5:45 of the first period. Of course, Paille had drawn a holding penalty on Seth Jones just minutes earlier, so while Paille’s Lady Byng candidacy took a hit, it wasn’t all bad.
- It came off a line change, but given the angle at which Fisher was going to the net, that Stalberg goal is a pretty tough one for the Bruins to give up. The Bruins had both McQuaid and Krug back or stride-for-stride with Fisher, so somebody — Spooner included as well — should have been able to either take Stalberg or get to the rebound of Fisher’s shot first.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/01/02/brad-marchand-scores-overtime-winner-as-bruins-beat-predators/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Marchand_Brad-Bruins-head-13.jpg
 Brad Marchand: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 NHL: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Shea Weber: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/shea-weber.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 David Krejci: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 > Brad Marchand scores overtime winner as Bruins beat Predators" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/01/02/brad-marchand-scores-overtime-winner-as-bruins-beat-predators/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.