- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins can’t sustain fast start in sloppy loss to Ducks
Posted By DJ Bean On January 8, 2014 @ 12:41 am In General | 29 Comments
The Bruins allowed three power play goals, a shorthanded goal and a 5-on-5 goal for good measure as they fell to the Ducks, 5-2, Tuesday night in Anaheim.
The Bruins turned in one of their best first periods of the season in outshooting the Ducks, 16-3, through the first 20 minutes, but Jonas Hiller kept the game scoreless. The Ducks got on the board in the second period with power-play goals from Mathieu Perreault and Corey Perry , respectively, with Daniel Winnik capitalizing on a Reilly Smith giveaway on a Bruins power play, leading to an Andrew Cogliano shorthanded goal.
Daniel Paille  scored his seventh goal of the season (fourth in the last six games) at 19:44 of the second period, and Dougie Hamilton brought the Bruins within one in the third by picking up a loose puck in the high slot and sending it past Hiller. Nick Bonino would put the game back out of reach for the Bruins with 5:37 left and Brad Marchand  in the box. Perreault made it 5-2 with 2:31 to play.
The Bruins were playing without Milan Lucic , who missed the game due to an illness. Jordan Caron missed his second straight game due to a back injury, leaving the Bruins with only 11 forwards for the first time all season. With Lucic out, Carl Soderberg and Paille took turns on David Krejci ‘s line, while Marchand replaced Lucic on the Bruins’ first power play unit.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Tuesday’s game was the second in which the Bruins have allowed three power-play goals since losing Dennis Seidenberg  for the season. In fact, all three of Anaheim’s second-period goals were scored on special teams.
- Speaking of Seidenberg, it’s safe to say Tuukka Rask  misses him. Tuesday’s game was the second of Rask’s last three games in which he’s allowed five goals. It was the third time he’s allowed five all season.
- The second period has been something of a struggle for the Bruins this season, and after being outscored, 3-1, in the second period Tuesday, the Bruins have now allowed two more goals (37) than they’ve scored (35) in the middle period this season.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Daniel Paille  has been hot for the Bruins since missing eight games with a concussion. In six games back in the lineup, Paille has four goals and an assist for five points. He had only four points (two goals, two assists) in 30 games before going down with the injury last month.
- Justin Florek picked up his first career point in assisting Paille’s goal. Tuesday was Florek’s second career NHL  game and the big 2010 fifth-round pick looks to be a viable fourth-line option for the Bruins.
-Patrice Bergeron ‘s line led the way in the Bruins’ impressive but scoreless first period. Reilly Smith was stopped on a backhander in front, though Hiller’s biggest save of the period came in the form of a glove save on Marchand down low.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/01/08/bruins-cant-sustain-fast-start-in-sloppy-loss-to-ducks/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Rask_Tuukka-Bruins-head-13.jpg
 Tuukka Rask: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Corey Perry: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/corey-perry.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 David Krejci: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Dennis Seidenberg: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/dennis-seidenberg.htm
 NHL: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 > Bruins can’t sustain fast start in sloppy loss to Ducks" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/01/08/bruins-cant-sustain-fast-start-in-sloppy-loss-to-ducks/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.