- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Tuukka Rask pulled as Kings best Bruins
Posted By DJ Bean On January 10, 2014 @ 1:12 am In General | 16 Comments
Tuukka Rask  was pulled for the third time in his last 10 starts as the Bruins fell to the Kings, 4-2, Thursday in Los Angeles.
The loss was the Bruins’ second of their three-game west coast road trip, and they’ll look to salvage something from the trip when they close it out Saturday in San Jose. The B’s have now lost five of their last six games on the road.
Jeff Carter  scored the only goal of the first period, but two goals in the first 1:45 of the second from Justin Williams (on the power play) and Alec Martinez, respectively, led to Chad Johnson  being called upon in relief of Rask. Johnson would allow one goal in a little less than two periods of play.
The Bruins got all of their scoring from their bottom six, as Matt Fraser one-timed a feed from Carl Soderberg past Jonathan Quick  at 9:55 of the second to make it 3-1. After Dustin Brown  made it 4-1 at 12:22 of the third, Justin Florek scored his first career NHL  goal to bring the B’s back within two.
The game was the last of Shawn Thornton ‘s 15-game suspension, meaning he will be eligible to return for Saturday’s game.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Though the results aren’t exclusively tied to the injury, Tuukka Rask  has had a rough go of it since the Bruins lost Seidenberg for the season. In five starts since Seidenberg went down, Rask has been pulled twice in the second period after allowing three goals and has given up five goals in two others. Those aren’t the kind of numbers the Vezina favorite got used to putting up in the first half of the season.
– Patrice Bergeron  is the best faceoff man in the NHL , so it isn’t often that you see him lose a faceoff cleanly in his own zone to lead to an opponent’s goal. That happened in the second period when Mike Richards  beat him at the dot and drew the puck back to Regehr to set up Martinez’ goal.
– Here’s something you don’t see every day: Hamilton was called for playing the puck in the penalty box, as he began playing the puck as he got up at the expiration of a tripping penalty, but since his feet were still in the box, he was whistled for interference. Williams scored on the ensuing power play.
– Quick moved across his crease in speedy fashion to rob Soderberg with a blocker save in the opening minutes of the third period. It would have been a one-goal game had the Grade A opportunity gone in for the B’s. Quick also stopped Brad Marchand  on a shorthanded breakaway with just under seven minutes to play.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Hamilton turned in some impressive work in the neutral zone to start the play that led to Fraser’s goal. The second-year defenseman broke up a pass and then poked the puck through Martinez’ legs. From there, Soderberg carried the puck into the zone to feed Fraser, who fired off a strong one-timer to get the Bruins on the board.
– Milan Lucic  returned to the lineup after missing Tuesday’s game with food poisoning. It wasn’t the prettiest return to the lineup, however, as his line was a minus-2 on the night.
– Florek’s been able to make an impact in his limited time in the Bruins’ lineup. So far he’s provided a screen on a Torey Krug goal, assisted a Daniel Paille  tally and scored a goal of his own. The 6-foot-4 forward appears to be capable of playing as a fourth-liner in the NHL .
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/01/10/tuukka-rask-pulled-as-kings-best-bruins/
URLs in this post:
 Tuukka Rask: http://media.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Jeff Carter: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/jeff-carter.htm
 Chad Johnson: http://audio.weei.com/football/chad-johnson.htm
 Jonathan Quick: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/jonathan-quick.htm
 Dustin Brown: http://audio.weei.com/tennis/dustin-brown.htm
 NHL: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 NHL: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/nhl-hockey.htm
 Mike Richards: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/mike-richards.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 > Tuukka Rask pulled as Kings best Bruins" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/01/10/tuukka-rask-pulled-as-kings-best-bruins/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.