- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Jarome Iginla puts up four points as Bruins crush Flyers
Posted By DJ Bean On January 25, 2014 @ 3:40 pm In General | 31 Comments
Jarome Iginla had a four-point day as the Bruins crushed the Flyers, 6-1, in Philadelphia Saturday.
Both Iginla and Zdeno Chara  had two goals apiece in the win, with the Bruins picking up three power play goals for the third time this season.
Chara opened the scoring with a power-play goal at 6:30 of the first, with Iginla firing a shot from the right circle past a screened Steve Mason with 18 seconds remaining in the period to make it 2-0.
The B’s got two more in the second period, as Reilly Smith scored his first goal in eight games after splitting Nicklas Grossman and Mark Streit and Patrice Bergeron  beat Mason on a low-angle shot following a rebound from a Brad Marchand  shot. That was enough to end Mason’s day, as he was replaced by Ray Emery.
Tuukka Rask ‘s shutout bid was broken up at 7:55 of the third period on a Claude Giroux power-play goal, but second helpings on the power play from Iginla and Chara kept the route on for the B’s.
Dougie Hamilton made his return to the lineup after missing the last four games with a concussion. He had three shots on goal and a plus-1 rating in 18:55 of ice time.
The Bruins will next play Monday as they head to New York to face the Islanders.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Bergeron’s line remains red hot, as it has now scored 10 goals over the last five games. Brad Marchand  has six, Bergeron has three and Smith has one. Saturday’s second-period goal also snapped a seven-game goal-less stretch. Smith’s longest drought without a goal this season is eight games.
- Reilly Smith is superb at getting wherever he needs to go, but there’s no way somebody should have been able to split the D the way he did in the second period when the Grossman and Streit let him muscle through. Smith squeezed by Philadelphia’s second pairing to backhand the puck off the post, causing it to then go off Mason and in.
In general, the Flyers were super weak defensively Saturday, turning pucks over and making Boston’s day much easier than it needed to be.
- The Bruins’ first line spent what seemed like days in the offensive zone. The line has been rather light on the production of late, but Saturday’s performance, which did only yield one goal in 5-on-5 play, was very encouraging.
- With his first of the day, Chara became the Bruins’ eighth 10-goal-scorer this season. Marchand and Smith lead the way with eight goals apiece.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Ryan Spooner missed the game with an illness. As a result, Carl Soderberg moved to center for the first time this season and centered a third line with Daniel Paille  and Loui Eriksson. Chris Kelly  remains out of the lineup but is nearing a return. Adam McQuaid remains out with a leg injury.
- Gregory Campbell  is no stranger to losing fights, and he can add Saturday’s bout with Luke Schenn to the list. Speaking of fights, Johnny Boychuk  picked up his first fighting major of the season when he dropped the gloves with Scott Hartnell.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/01/25/jarome-iginla-puts-up-four-points-as-bruins-crush-flyers/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Iginla-Jarome-Bruins-head-13.jpg
 Zdeno Chara: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 > Jarome Iginla puts up four points as Bruins crush Flyers" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/01/25/jarome-iginla-puts-up-four-points-as-bruins-crush-flyers/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.