- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins pull away in third to beat Islanders
Posted By DJ Bean On January 27, 2014 @ 9:42 pm In General | 14 Comments
Patrice Bergeron ‘s line remained red hot as it helped the Bruins past the Islanders, 6-3, Monday night. The win was Boston’s first of the season against the Islanders and concluded the teams’ three-game season series.
Loui Eriksson opened the game’s scoring with his first goal in 12 games, a stretch that dated back to Nov. 25. He picked up his sixth of the season by taking a pass from Daniel Paille  at the goal line and beating Kevin Poulin top shelf from the tough angle.
As they did throughout the night, the Islanders tied it, with their first goal coming from Frans Nielsen off the rebound of a Kyle Okposo. Brad Marchand  scored at 4:50 of the second period to make it 2-1, with Michael Grabner tying it up about three and a half minutes later. Reilly Smith capitalized on a deflection on a pass from Shawn Thornton  during a delayed penalty to make it 3-2, but Kyle Okposo tied on a 2-on-0 following the expiration of a cross-checking penalty he had taken.
Carl Soderberg flew past Thomas Hickey and beat Poulin with 33 seconds remaining in the second to give the Bruins a lead that they would finally hold, as Bergeron gave Boston its first two-goal lead of the night at 2:17 of the third after he had gotten out of the box. Zdeno Chara  made it 6-3 with a snap shot from the point good for his 12th goal of the season and 500th point of his career. The goal chased Poulin, as the Islanders replaced him in net with Evgeni Nabokov.
Chad Johnson  picked up the win in net for the B’s to improve to 9-3-0 on the season. He made 34 saves on the night.
Chris Kelly  did not return to the lineup, though Claude Julien  told reporters Monday morning it was likely that he’d play Tuesday. Ryan Spooner was a healthy scratch, as the B’s kept the line of Soderberg between Paille and Eriksson together.
The B’s will return to Boston to face the Panthers Tuesday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Marchand has been good for two points a night over his last six games, as he now has seven goals and five assists for 12 points in that span.
- The fact that he cannot play the right wing because he’s legally blind in his left eye makes Soderberg’s second-period goal even more impressive. Soderberg took a pass from Milan Lucic  on the right wing in the neutral zone, flew into the offensive zone and sped around Thomas Hickey before going forehand and beating Poulin to make it 4-3.
- The Bruins have now scored six goals in back-to-back games, as they picked up a 6-1 win over the Flyers Saturday. The only other time they did it this season was on Dec. 23 against the Predators.
- Thornton’s assist on Smith’s goal was his first helper of the season.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Dougie Hamilton had a rough stretch in the second period, as he knocked down a puck at the tail end of a Bruins power play but had it knocked away by Grabner to set up a 2-on-0 as Okposo got out of the box. That led to Okposo’s goal, and shortly after Hamilton let Vanek get behind him, causing Hamilton to hook Vanek on the breakaway.
- Having four leads at least meant you led, but it also means you couldn’t hold a lead. That was the case for much of the night Monday for the B’s.
- The Bruins took penalties at the end of both the first and second periods. After Cal Clutterbuck got away with kicking Zdeno Chara , Chara took a jab at his face to take a roughing penalty at the end of the first. Patrice Bergeron  was whistled for holding at the end of the second.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/01/27/bruins-pull-away-in-third-to-beat-islanders/
URLs in this post:
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Chad Johnson: http://audio.weei.com/football/chad-johnson.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Claude Julien: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 > Bruins pull away in third to beat Islanders" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/01/27/bruins-pull-away-in-third-to-beat-islanders/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.