- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Chad Johnson earns first shutout with Bruins in win over Oilers
Posted By DJ Bean On February 1, 2014 @ 3:31 pm In General | 10 Comments
Chad Johnson  recorded his first shutout as a Bruin to lead the B’s past Edmonton, 4-0, Saturday at TD Garden.
Johnson made 22 saves on the day, good for his second career shutout. The backup netminder had a 21-save shutout last Jan. 28 against the Predators while playing for Phoenix.
David Krejci  made it 1-0 on a second-period power play with a shot that went off Ryan Jones’ skate and past Ben Scrivens. Dougie Hamilton built on the lead with a wraparound goal in the third period, with Carl Soderberg picking his eighth goal of the season just over six minutes later. Torey Krug made it 4-0 on a power-play goal.
Soderberg (a goal and an assist), Zdeno Chara  (two assists) and Jarome Iginla (two assists) turned in multi-point performances for the Bruins.
The win was Boston’s fifth in its last six games, as the B’s had won four straight before suffering a 4-1 loss to the Canadiens.
Saturday also marked the return of former Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference . The Edmonton native and Oilers captain was greeted with a standing ovation was acknowledged with a video during a first period stoppage of play.
The Bruins now enter the final week prior to the Olympic break. They will host the Canucks Tuesday, face the Blues in St. Louis on Thursday and play the Senators at TD Garden Saturday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Hamilton now has back-to-back goals for the first time in his career. He did all of the work on his goal Saturday, taking the puck to the net, getting his own rebound and going behind the net for the wraparound.
– Daniel Paille ‘s been earning some power plays for the Bruins of late, drawing three penalties in his last three
games and four in his last five games. Two of the last three — Tuesday’s hook from Mike Weaver and Saturday’s trip from Jeff Petry — came off him using his speed to go to the net. He was also interfered with by Jordan Eberle during a second-period penalty kill in which he had previously been stopped by Scrivens on a shorthanded breakaway.
– The B’s survived a couple of injury scares, as Kevan Miller returned to the game in short order after blocking a shot with his right hand/wrist in the first period and Shawn Thornton  returned for the second period after going down the tunnel and missing all but one shift of the first period due to a fight with Luke Gazdic.
– In picking up the secondary assist on Hamilton’s goal and scoring a goal of his own, Carl Soderberg now has a four-game point streak (two goals, three assists).
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Loui Eriksson had a goal disallowed in the second period when a review led officials to the conclusion that there was a distinct kicking motion. Eriksson angled his skate toward the net as he took a feed from Matt Bartkowski down low, with the puck going off his skate and in. Though the exact phrasing “distinct kicking motion” is tough, he did move his foot forward as he tried to angle it, making for a kick, whether intentional or not. The goal would have been Eriksson’s fourth point in four games.
– Speaking of Eriksson, he turned in a candidate for the most accidentally hilarious move of the year when he did this in the second period:
– Patrice Bergeron ‘s line has now gone three games without a goal. It had been red-hot in mid-to-late January.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/02/01/chad-johnson-earns-first-shutout-with-bruins-in-win-over-oilers/
URLs in this post:
 Chad Johnson: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/chad-johnson-hockey.htm
 David Krejci: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Andrew Ference: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/andrew-ference.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 > Chad Johnson earns first shutout with Bruins in win over Oilers" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/02/01/chad-johnson-earns-first-shutout-with-bruins-in-win-over-oilers/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.