- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins fall to Capitals, remain winless since Olympics
Posted By DJ Bean On March 1, 2014 @ 3:38 pm In General | 6 Comments
The Bruins remain winless since the Olympic break, as they dropped a 4-2 contest Saturday in their first meeting of the season against the Capitals.
The Capitals took a 2-0 lead with Alexander Ovechkin scoring a power-play goal against Tuukka Rask  in each of the first two periods. They extended the lead to 3-0 when Joel Ward picked off a Johnny Boychuk  pass off a faceoff and took it to the net for a breakaway goal.
Patrice Bergeron  brought the Bruins back into the game 19 seconds later with a power-play goal to make it 3-1. Shawn Thornton  then made it a one-goal game with a pass to the slot that went off Mike Green  and past Washington netminder Braden Holtby.
The Capitals were able to expand the lead to two again, with Eric Fehr scoring a breakaway goal off a turnover from Bergeron.
The Bruins will play the Rangers Sunday in New York, marking their first of six back-to-backs in the month of March.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- It was another subpar showing defensively for the Bruins, with the Matt Bartkowski-Boychuk pairing turning in a shaky performance and nobody able to catch up to Fehr following a turnover from Bergeron in the third period. Claude Julien  had called the Bruins too loose defensively after Wednesday’s loss to the Sabres.
- The Bruins were rather unimpressive on a 5-on-3 after Jay Beagle went off for holding and Tom Wilson was called for high-sticking at 6:57 of the first period. The Bruins landed just one shot on goal during the two-minute 5-on-3, which featured Zdeno Chara  at the point and Jarome Iginla as the net-front guy on the team’s first unit.
- Brad Marchand  took a pair of offensive zone penalties, tripping Eric Fehr late in the second period and high-sticking Dmitry Orlov in the third. Neither penalty cost the B’s, but putting a regular penalty killer in the box against the second-best power play in the league isn’t a great idea.
- Speaking of penalties, Chris Kelly ‘s penalty fest continued, and it cost the Bruins in the first period. Kelly was given an interference minor for shoving Jason Chimera in the first, leading to Ovechkin’s power play goal. It was Kelly’s seventh minor penalty over the last six games. He had taken just one minor penalty in his previous 13 contests.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Thornton’s goal was probably his line’s most spectacular of the season. Daniel Paille  sent a bouncing pass to Shawn Thornton, who was able to settle it as he advanced in the offensive zone before sending a pass to the slot for Campbell, who sped in and crashed into Green, with the puck going off Green and over Holtby’s left shoulder.
- Rask didn’t get too much help (two breakaway goals), but he did come came through with a big glove save on Troy Brouwer with Washington on the power play in the third period and the score still 3-2. Saturday marked Rask’s first game since the Olympics.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/03/01/bruins-fall-to-capitals-remain-winless-since-olympics/
URLs in this post:
 Tuukka Rask: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Shawn Thornton: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/shawn-thornton.htm
 Mike Green: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/mike-green.htm
 Claude Julien: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 > Bruins fall to Capitals, remain winless since Olympics" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/03/01/bruins-fall-to-capitals-remain-winless-since-olympics/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.