Report: Chris Phillips, Senators moving closer to new contract
|03.04.14 at 3:22 pm ET|
According to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, the Senators and defenseman Chris Phillips are moving closer towards common ground on the length of a potential contract extension.
The Senators and Chris Phillips have moved closer on term. #Sens
‘ Bruce Garrioch (@SunGarrioch) March 4, 2014
Phillips, 35, is in the final year of his contract and could be put on the trade market if he is not re-signed. The former first overall pick is acting as his own agent.
The Bruins are believed to be interested in his services, as he is a big and strong defenseman who could push Matt Bartkowski for his spot on the left side of Boston’s second pairing in the postseason, but he would likely only become available if the Senators feel they won’t be able to sign him before Wednesday’s trade deadline.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara