Panthers trade for Roberto Luongo, making him teammates with Tim Thomas
|03.04.14 at 4:41 pm ET|
According to Renaud Lavoie, the Canucks have traded Roberto Luongo to the Panthers.
‘ Renaud Lavoie (@LavoieRenaud) March 4, 2014
Luongo played five seasons in Florida before going to Vancouver, but the best storyline here is that it means he and Tim Thomas are now teammates. The showdown between the two became the central storyline in the 2011 Stanley Cup playoffs, when the two combined for four shutouts in the seven-game series.
Luongo, who was overly complimentary of Thomas prior to the series, criticized Thomas’ style of play after Game 5 of the series. When his criticism made waves, Luongo famously said he had been pumping Thomas’ tires, while Thomas hadn’t complimented him.
“As far as Luongo goes, actually, all that did was give me confidence that his head was in the wrong place, because I was focused on stopping the puck and he was thinking about my style,” Thomas told WEEI.com the following season.
“I realized that I had an advantage over him,’ Thomas added. ‘’The challenge on my end was to keep that advantage.”
Goalie Jacob Markstrom is reportedly part of the package headed to Vancouver in the trade.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5