- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Jarome Iginla scores twice as Bruins win eighth straight
Posted By DJ Bean On March 15, 2014 @ 3:37 pm In General | No Comments
Jarome Iginla scored twice as the Bruins picked up their eighth straight win with a 5-1 victory over the Hurricanes Saturday at TD Garden.
For the third straight game, the B’s held their opponent without a goal in the first two periods, as Boston took a 2-0 lead into the third on goals from Milan Lucic  and Iginla before a bouncing puck hopped over Chad Johnson ‘s right leg for an Alexander Semin goal to get Carolina on the board.
The Bruins came away with the win despite a third-period injury scare to Johnny Boychuk , who crashed hard into the boards and did not put any pressure on his right leg after getting up. He returned shortly after, blocked a shot off the faceoff and went back off the ice but did continue to take shifts.
After the injury scare, Boston built on its lead with Chris Kelly ‘s seventh goal of the year and a Iginla’s second of the day. The goals were scored 13 seconds apart. Torey Krug scored Boston’s fifth goal with 9.4 seconds left to play.
The Bruins will stay in Boston and host the Wild on Monday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Brad Marchand  drew a pair of penalties, as he was tripped by Elias Lindholm in the first period and held by Ron Hainsey in the second. It’s a sign that you’re outskating the other team when they’re resorting to grabbing and using their stick to slow you down.
– David Krejci ‘s pass — whether it was intended to be a pass or just a desperate attempt to move the puck forward — on Lucic’s goal was a thing of beauty, as he sent the puck right to Lucic on the doorstep as he was being taken down. The helper was part of a three-assist performance for Krejci.
– Chad Johnson  turned in what’s become a typically dependable performance Saturday, and you couldn’t really blame Carolina’s lone goal on him. The puck deflected off the shaft of Boychuk’s stick, causing it to come at the net like a ground ball. As such, it unexpectedly bounced over Johnson’s left pad despite him being in position to make the save.
– The Bruins have wanted Dougie Hamilton to be more physical, and he’s been doing just that when he’s been in the lineup of late. The best example came in the third period Wednesday, when Hamilton delivered a crushing open-ice hit to Jeff Skinner in the defensive zone.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Despite not being hemmed in, the Bruins were pretty sloppy coming out of their own zone in the first period. Fortunately it didn’t hurt them, particularly when a Chris Kelly  giveaway in 4-on-4 play led to an Alexander Semin opportunity that Johnson managed to stop.
Early in the second period, Dougie Hamilton fell down while skating the puck out.
– The B’s allowed their fifth breakaway in three games when Nathan Gerbe snuck by the defense late in the third period. Despite he uptick in breakaways for the opponent, none of them have gone in and the Bruins have allowed just one goal in each of the last three contests.
– Reilly Smith saw his goal-less streak extended to 15 games Saturday, but you can’t blame him for not trying. Smith was robbed by Ward in the second period when Ward came across the net to stop a snap shot taken at the right circle off a feed from Torey Krug.
– Patrice Bergeron  had three penalties, as he went off for interference in both the first and second periods and took a hooking penalty at the end of the second. Three minor penalties is not a career-high for Bergeron, as he took three periods in the second period alone in a four-penalty night in Game 6 of the 2011 Stanley Cup  finals. It was, however, his first regular-season game with three penalties.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/03/15/jarome-iginla-scores-twice-as-bruins-win-eighth-straight/
URLs in this post:
 Milan Lucic: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Chad Johnson: http://audio.weei.com/football/chad-johnson.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 David Krejci: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Chad Johnson: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/chad-johnson-hockey.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Stanley Cup: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/stanley-cup.htm
 > Jarome Iginla scores twice as Bruins win eighth straight" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/03/15/jarome-iginla-scores-twice-as-bruins-win-eighth-straight/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.