- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins beat Devils for 10th straight win
Posted By DJ Bean On March 18, 2014 @ 9:36 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins won their 10th straight game, as they picked up a 4-2 win over the Devils Tuesday at the Prudential Center .
Patrice Bergeron  scored the only goal of the first period, taking a feed from Reilly Smith and beating Martin Brodeur  five-hole. With the goal, Bergeron became the fourth Bruin to reach 20 goals this season. Smith will become the fifth with his next goal.
The early second period saw a quick flurry of goals, beginning with a Patrik Elias goal to tie the game on a 5-on-3. The Bruins responded in short order, with Brad Marchand  scoring a shorthanded goal 54 seconds after Elias’ tally. Fifty-nine seconds after that, Jarome Iginla scored his 556th career goal putting him in a tie with Johnny Bucyk for 25th on the all-time goals list.
Chris Kelly  would make it 4-1 in the third period, but Travis Zajac brought the Devils back within two just over two minutes later. The B’s would hold on to pick up the win, with Chad Johnson  improving his record to 15-3-1 on the season.
The victory allowed the Bruins to keep their distance from the Penguins  atop the Eastern Conference. The B’s continue to hold a five-point lead over Pittsburgh, though they’ve played 69 games to the Penguins ‘ 68.
Matt Bartkowski was made a healthy scratch, with Corey Potter making his Bruins debut a night after Bartkowski struggled vs. the Wild. Johnny Boychuk  missed his second straight game with a lower-body injury.
The Bruins will travel to Denver and will face the Avalanche Friday.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– The Bruins have now gone nine consecutive games without allowing a first-period goal and six straight games without trailing. Winning is a much more manageable task when you don’t have to play from behind.
– There was some great passing between Andrej Meszaros, Bergeron and Reilly Smith on Bergeron’s goal. With the Devils in the midst of a line change, Meszaros found Bergeron at the blue line, who dished it back to Smith before going to the net. Smith returned the pass, with Bergeron beating Brodeur five-hole to finish the play.
– Speaking of passing, Torey Krug rifled a stretch pass down the ice to Iginla to set up the game-winning goal.
– Marchand’s goal was his fifth shorthanded tally of the season. He also drew a slashing penalty on Eric Gelinas in the third period during a shorthanded scoring chance to negate Dougie Hamilton’s second penalty of the day.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The B’s are still allowing more primo scoring chances than they’d like, and Dougie Hamilton was the only man back on a 3-on-1 that resulted in Zajac’s third-period goal.
– The Bruins saw the absence of Boychuk when they had to face a 5-on-3 early in the second. The B’s had Zdeno Chara , Patrice Bergeron  and Kevan Miller on the ice when Elias scored to tie the game, as Dougie Hamilton was in the box on a charging call.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/03/18/bruins-beat-devils-for-10th-straight-win/
URLs in this post:
 Prudential Center: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/prudential-center.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Martin Brodeur: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/martin-brodeur.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Chad Johnson: http://audio.weei.com/football/chad-johnson.htm
 Penguins: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 > Bruins beat Devils for 10th straight win" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/03/18/bruins-beat-devils-for-10th-straight-win/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.