- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins beat Flyers in shootout to extend road win streak to nine games
Posted By DJ Bean On March 30, 2014 @ 3:22 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins won their ninth straight road game and increased their point streak to 16 games Sunday with a 4-3 shootout win over the Flyers.
Reilly Smith scored the winning goal in the shootout after the Flyers had come back to tie the game late in the third period.
Vincent Lecavalier scored with 25 seconds left in regulation to even the score. With Flyer goalie Steve Mason pulled, Johnny Boychuk  missed on a clearing attempt in front of Tuukka Rask , with Rask going after the puck and Jakub Voracek sending it across to Lecavlier, who sent it into the open net. The play came after Loui Eriksson had failed to get the puck out of the offensive zone.
Lecavalier scored the game’s first goal on a wrist shot that sunk and fooled Tuukka Rask , but former Flyer Andrej Meszaros scored against his former club to tie it at 10:43 of the first. Meszaros was in the lineup in place of Torey Krug, who was a healthy scratch.
Philadelphia regained the lead late in the first period on a goal from Kimmo Timonen, but second-period goals from Zdeno Chara  and Patrice Bergeron  gave the B’s a 3-2 lead that they would hold until Lecavalier’s goal.
Rask made a career-high 49 saves between regulation and overtime.
The Bruins will next play Wednesday in Detroit. They have seven games remaining in their regular-season schedule.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Bergeron now has goals in seven straight games and is creeping up on his second career 30-goal season. He may not be this season’s Hart winner, but he’s going to get votes.
- When Chara cleared the puck over the glass from the defensive zone early on in a third-period Dougie Hamilton penalty, the Bruins were forced to kill a 1:47 5-on-3. The B’s used Kevan Miller and Johnny Boychuk  the entire time, with Patrice Bergeron  and Chris Kelly  taking turns as the third man. Miller and Boychuk held their own as they prevented the Flyers from tying the game.
- Rask came up with a big save on Scott Hartnell on a third period breakaway. With the game 3-2, the Flyers had taken advantage of a Bruins turnover in the offensive zone turnover and had Hartnell on a break, but his backhand bid was stopped by Rask with Dougie Hamilton giving chase. He also stopped Luke Schenn on a partial break in overtime.
- Chara’s goal was his 10th power-play goal of the season, which trails only Shea Weber  for tops among NHL  defensemen. The tally was also his 17th of the season, which gives him a shot at tying or surpassing his career-high of 19 goals, which he scored in 2008-09 with the B’s.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- The Flyers’ game-tying goal would have never been scored were it not for a bad hand-pass call against the B’s moments earlier. Had there been no whistle, David Krejci  would have scored an empty-netter.
- Brad Marchand  hustles like no other, so Timonen beating him up the ice and sneaking past him wasn’t something you’ll see every day. Marchand appeared furious with himself on the bench after the goal, slamming the door on the bench and letting a word he usually saves for opponents fly.
- The Bruins are in the business of fighting players over clean hits, and that isn’t a smart move with not much more to be accomplished in the regular season. Jarome Iginla didn’t like a hit Zac Rinaldo threw on him in the first period, and the ensuing fight saw Rinaldo pound Iginla in the head multiple times. There’s nothing to be gained there, which the Bruins learned last year when Nathan Horton  fought Iginla late in the season and suffered a shoulder injury that hurt him throughout the playoffs.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/03/30/bruins-beat-flyers-in-shootout-to-extend-road-win-streak-to-nine-games/
URLs in this post:
 Johnny Boychuk: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Shea Weber: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/shea-weber.htm
 NHL: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 David Krejci: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Nathan Horton: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/nathan-horton.htm
 > Bruins beat Flyers in shootout to extend road win streak to nine games" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/03/30/bruins-beat-flyers-in-shootout-to-extend-road-win-streak-to-nine-games/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.