- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins suffer rare regulation loss as Red Wings come from behind in third period
Posted By DJ Bean On April 2, 2014 @ 10:39 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins saw their nine-game road win streak snapped with a 3-2 loss to the Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena Wednesday night.
Gustav Nyquist caught the Bruins during a line change in the third period and gave the Red Wings the lead 1:42 after Tomas Jurco had tied the game. Jimmy Howard held on from there as the B’s lost their first game in regulation since March 1.
The B’s played without Jarome Iginla, who missed his first game of the season with what the team called a lower-body injury. Given that the team said he wasn’t a healthy scratch, it was Iginla’s first game missed due to injury since January of 2007. Matt Bartkowski was a healthy scratch.
Boston jumped out to a 1-0 lead late in the first period on Johnny Boychuk ‘s fourth goal of the season, but Tomas Tatar tied it for the Red Wings with a goal that went through Andrej Meszaros and Riley Sheahan on its way past Tuukka Rask  at 4:45 of the second.
The game remained knotted at one goal apiece until Carl Soderberg scored a power-play goal 1:10 into the third period. Jurco would end up tying the game after a puck in front got caught in Meszaros’ pants and fell to Tatar, who kicked the puck to Jurco to set up the goal.
The Bruins have six games remaining and will play Thursday in Toronto.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The B’s had an injury scare in the third period when Drew Miller  crashed into Patrice Bergeron  on a third-period shot from Bergeron. Miller’s right leg took out Bergeron’s left leg, with Bergeron awkwardly falling to the ice and holding what looked like his left knee.
Bergeron’s seven-game goal-scoring streak came to an end, though he had the primary assist on Soderberg’s goal. Bergeron was stopped by Howard on a first-period breakaway.
– Nyquist’s goal was the third 5-on-5 goal the Red Wings have scored against the Bruins with both Bergeron and Zdeno Chara  on the ice this season. That’s pretty remarkable when you consider that Chara and Bergeron allowed just one 5-on-5 goal together all of last season.
– Iginla not playing means he will not post the 10th 82-game season of his career — not this season, at least. With Iginla out, Loui Eriksson played on the right wing of David Krejci ‘s line with Milan Lucic .
– The Red Wings didn’t have many second-chance opportunities through the first two periods, but they came in the third and eventually cost the B’s. Rask came up big with a save on Jurco off the rebound of a shot from Tatar just about midway through the third. Shortly after, Jurco scored on a second-chance bid.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– One positive of the loss is that the Red Wings got two points and therefore gave themselves some more separation from the eighth-seeded Blue Jackets (83 points in 75 games). The Red Wings (86 points in 76 games) are currently in line for the seventh seed, which would mean they wouldn’t face the Bruins in the first round.
– Though he didn’t score, Bergeron now has points in nine straight games. Bergeron has eight goals and four helpers over that stretch.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/04/02/bruins-suffer-rare-regulation-loss-as-red-wings-come-from-behind-in-third-period/
URLs in this post:
 Johnny Boychuk: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Drew Miller: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/drew-miller.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 David Krejci: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 > Bruins suffer rare regulation loss as Red Wings come from behind in third period" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/04/02/bruins-suffer-rare-regulation-loss-as-red-wings-come-from-behind-in-third-period/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.