- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins come back but fall to Maple Leafs in overtime
Posted By DJ Bean On April 3, 2014 @ 10:26 pm In General | No Comments
Paul Ranger opened the game’s scoring six minutes into the first period by picking up a puck that was lost in Matt Bartkowski’s skates and sending it past Chad Johnson . Brad Marchand  tied the game 56 seconds later, but a Tyler Bozak goal with 12 seconds left in the period and a James van Riemsdyk tally 52 seconds into the second made it 3-1.
Toronto starter Jonathan Bernier was injured in the third period and left the game, giving way to James Reimer at 8:22 of the third. Bergeron tied the game at 12:51 with a goal against Reimer, and the score remained tied until Torey Krug was called for an iffy hold in overtime, leading to Kadri’s game-winner.
Chad Johnson  was in net, losing for the first time in his last seven games. Carl Soderberg and Andrej Meszaros sat for the B’s, with Meszaros serving as a healthy scratch and Soderberg going back to Boston to be with his wife as they await the birth of a child. Jarome Iginla and Matt Bartkowski were both back in the lineup.
The B’s have five games remaining and will host the Flyers Saturday at TD Garden.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
- Bozak’s goal marked the fifth time in the last four games that the B’s have allowed a goal in the final minute of a period. That certainly isn’t a habit the B’s want to develop heading into the postseason.
- Johnson allowed more than two goals for the first time since Feb. 26, which was the first game back from the Olympic break. Johnson had allowed two or less in the six games leading up to Wednesday, a stretch that saw him allow one goal on two occasions and pick up a shutout on another.
- Bartkowski caught some bad luck with the puck getting caught in his skates prior to Toronto’s first goal and was also out there for Bozak’s goal. That came a night after a puck got caught in Meszaros’ pants to lead to a Red Wings goal. Those two could very well be battling one another for a spot in Boston’s postseason lineup, so this isn’t a good time for either of them to have rough nights.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
- Bergeron now has nine goals in his last nine games and is sniffing his first 30-goal season since 2005-06. Again, he isn’t going to win the Hart, but this is one of the finest seasons of his career.
- With Soderberg out, the Bruins played Chris Kelly  at center with Jordan Caron and Loui Eriksson for the first period, but Eriksson was promoted to the second line from the second period on. That’s a wise move for Claude Julien , as the biggest thing keeping him from putting Eriksson on Patrice Bergeron ‘s line is the fact that the third line is so good. On a night in which he didn’t have his normal third line anyway, he was able to try out Eriksson with Bergeron for the first time in a while.
It makes sense for the B’s to do that, as they have to prepare for any situation that might arise in the postseason, which is why it was good to see them try Eriksson on David Krejci ‘s line Tuesday in Detroit.
- Lucic’s goal was his first in 10 games. He had only two points — both assists — in his previous nine contests.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/04/03/bruins-come-back-but-fall-to-maple-leafs-in-overtime/
URLs in this post:
 Maple Leafs: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/toronto-maple-leafs.htm
 Air Canada Centre: http://audio.weei.com/basketball/air-canada-centre.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Chad Johnson: http://audio.weei.com/football/chad-johnson.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 Chad Johnson: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/chad-johnson-hockey.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Claude Julien: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 David Krejci: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 > Bruins come back but fall to Maple Leafs in overtime" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/04/03/bruins-come-back-but-fall-to-maple-leafs-in-overtime/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.