- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins blow lead late, lose to Wild in shootout
Posted By DJ Bean On April 8, 2014 @ 10:57 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins continued resting players but blew a late lead before falling, 4-3, in a shootout to the Wild on Tuesday night.
Ryan Suter tied the game with 1:05 remaining and Ilya Bryzgalov held on in the shootout as the Wild clinched a playoff spot.
The B’s and Wild traded a pair of goals apiece in the first period, with Jason Pominville beating Tuukka Rask  with a one-timer on a power play 1:05 into the game. Reilly Smith answered with a power-play goal of his own at 3:00 of the first, with the goal serving as his second in the last 27 games.
Patrice Bergeron  gave the Bruins the lead by sending a loose puck in front past Bryzgalov to extend his point streak to 12 games (10 goals, six assists). Pominville tied the game 28 seconds later and the teams played tied late into the second period before Gregory Campbell  scored a power-play goal.
In addition to Jarome Iginla and Kevan Miller both missing the game with minor injuries, the Bruins sat David Krejci  for the night as a healthy scratch. With both Krejci and Iginla out, Carl Soderberg centered a line with Milan Lucic  and Loui Eriksson. The absence of two regular forwards also meant the team had only 11 forwards, so Torey Krug played left wing on Campbell’s line while Daniel Paille  moved up to play with Chris Kelly  and Jordan Caron. Kelly left the game in the third period and did not return, with Claude Julien  saying after the game that the team was being “cautious.”
The Bruins, who have already clinched the first seed in the Eastern Conference, gained separation from the Blues for the Presidents’ Trophy. St. Louis lost to Washington, leaving Boston with a three-point lead over the Blues with three games left to play for each team.
The Bruins will play the Jets Thursday in Winnipeg before hosting the Sabres Saturday and finishing the season Sunday in New Jersey.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The Bruins have allowed a pair of goals while holding a one-goal lead in the final minute of games recently. In addition to Suter’s goal, Vincent Lecavalier got the equalizer with the goalie pulled when the B’s and Flyers played on March 30.
– Plus-minus isn’t everything, but Caron was the only player on either team to finish with a minus-2 rating, as he was on the ice for both Pominville’s second goal and Suter’s game-tying goal.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Rask was sensational in overtime, as the Wild had several good chances in 4-on-4 play and outshot Boston, 6-2. Given that overtime in the postseason has one more guy on the ice per side, it would be a stretch to say the extra five minutes did anything to prepare Rask for the postseason, but he at the very least provided a reminder of his dominance when games are on the line.
– Bergeron’s goal brought him up to 29 on the season. With three games left to play and putting up numbers like crazy of late, he has a great chance of recording 30 goals for just the second time in his career and the first time since 2005-06.
– Speaking of goal plateaus, Smith finally reached the 20-goal plateau after racing out to 18 goals early in the season.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/04/08/bruins-lose-to-wild-in-shootout/
URLs in this post:
 Tuukka Rask: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 David Krejci: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Claude Julien: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/claude-julien.htm
 > Bruins blow lead late, lose to Wild in shootout" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/04/08/bruins-lose-to-wild-in-shootout/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.