- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Bruins blow another late lead, lose to Jets in shootout as Zdeno Chara rests
Posted By DJ Bean On April 10, 2014 @ 10:46 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins rested their big guns, blew another third-period lead and took a 2-1 shootout loss to the Jets on Thursday in Winnipeg.
Zdeno Chara  and Patrice Bergeron  both sat, with Ryan Spooner entering the lineup and centering Bergeron’s line. Andrej Meszaros played with Chara sitting. Jarome Iginla and Kevan Miller both returned to the lineup. Chris Kelly  missed the game with an injury suffered in Tuesday’s game.
Brad Marchand  scored the game’s first goal when, after Matt Bartkowski outmuscled his man in the corner of the defensive zone, David Krejci  got the puck and sent it up to Reilly Smith, who sent the puck off the end boards to get it to bounce in front. Marchand got to the puck and backhanded it past Michael Hutchinson for his 24th goal of the season.
The game remained 1-0 until late in the third period, when former Bruin Blake Wheeler  flew past Milan Lucic , Krejci  and Iginla in the neutral zone and took the puck deep into Boston’s end before dishing to Evander Kane, who broke up Chad Johnson ‘s shutout bid with 1:57 to go in regulation.
The Bruins have two games remaining in their schedule. They will host the Sabres Saturday before finishing the regular season Sunday in New Jersey.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– The Bruins have allowed a lot of goals late in periods and late in games of late, and Kane’s game-tying goal was the latest. It’s tough to read into that as a real issue given that the regular personnel has been in and out of the lineup, but it’s a bad habit nonetheless.
– Hutchinson, a former third-round pick of the B’s, was strong with 30 saves in regulation. His biggest save came when he stopped Iginla on a first-period breakaway.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Jordan Caron played in his fifth consecutive game and had a decent scoring chance midway through the second period. The most notable thing there is that he’s getting in games, as he’ll almost certainly be needed at some point in the postseason given that he’s the team’s 13th forward.
– These final games can still be used as confidence-boosters, and Smith had a couple of really good shifts. He had the strategic dump-in off the end boards to set up Marchand’s goal in the first and nearly scored a goal of his own on a third-period one-timer off a feed from Marchand. On that same shift, Smith got back quickly to break up a Kane bid.
Smith got the puck in the slot in overtime and seemed to have an open look off a Johnny Boychuk  steal, but Smith’s shot was blocked by Zach Redmond. Smith was also stopped by Hutchinson on his shootout attempt.
– In getting the secondary apple on Marchand’s goal, Krejci reached 50 assists for the second time in his career. The other such season was his 74-point campaign in 2008-09 in which he had 51 helpers.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/04/10/bruins-blow-another-late-lead-lose-to-jets-in-shootout/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/AP809971296325.jpg
 Chad Johnson: http://audio.weei.com/football/chad-johnson.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 David Krejci: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Blake Wheeler: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/blake-wheeler.htm
 Milan Lucic: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/milan-lucic.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 > Bruins blow another late lead, lose to Jets in shootout as Zdeno Chara rests" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/04/10/bruins-blow-another-late-lead-lose-to-jets-in-shootout/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.