- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Red Wings take Game 1 from Bruins on late Pavel Datsyuk goal
Posted By DJ Bean On April 18, 2014 @ 9:58 pm In General | No Comments
The Bruins were without their third and fourth line left wings and two bottom-four defensemen, but it was their best players who let up the game’s only goal as the Red Wings took Game 1 of the first round, 1-0.
With the game scoreless late, Pavel Datsyuk  beat Tuukka Rask  with 3:01 left to get the Red Wings on the board. The goal came with Patrice Bergeron  and Zdeno Chara  on the ice, marking Detroit’s fourth such goal this season. Chara and Bergeron had only allowed one 5-on-5 goal together all last season before allowing three to the Red Wings this past regular season.
The Bruins played the game without four regulars in Daniel Paille  (head), Chris Kelly  (back), Matt Bartkowski (undisclosed) and Kevan Miller (undisclosed; both he and Bartkowski were suspected to have the flu earlier in the week). With those four out, Justin Florek, Jordan Caron, Andrej Meszaros and Corey all played.
Jimmy Howard picked up the shutout for the Red Wings, making 25 saves.
The teams will play Game 2 Sunday afternoon (3 p.m.) at TD Garden.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE BRUINS
– Patrice Bergeron ‘s line, playing mostly against Detroit’s top line of Franzen – Datsyuk – Abdelkader and second pairing of Quincey – DeKeyser, had just two shots on goal through the first two periods. Both sides seemed OK with having the Bergeron and Datsyuk lines matched up against one another.
– The matchup that the Bruins need to exploit in this series is Boston’s bottom-six forwards against Detroit’s third pairing of Jakub Kindl and Brian Lashoff. They got some chances (Jordan Caron nearly had a goal in front in the second period) and Carl Soderberg’s line came on strong against them, but the B’s were unable to cash in. Keep an eye on those matchups going forward in the series.
– Not sure what Tuukka Rask  was thinking when he came way out of his net to play a puck high in the zone in the third period. Florek and Potter were already giving chase to the puck, but Rask got to it and turned it over, leaving Potter to race to the net and make a save on Darren Helm’s shot.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE BRUINS
– Potter was more than serviceable as he played in place of Miller Friday night. Though he was the Bruins’ eighth defenseman at the end of the season, Potter got regular minutes on the third pairing with Torey Krug as they played mostly against Luke Glendening’s line.
– Boston’s penalty kill was strong in holding Detroit 0-for-2. The Bruins faced a major challenge when Zdeno Chara  threw Brendan Smith into the boards at 16:08 of the first period and was assessed a boarding minor. With Chara in the box and the B’s already missing two regular blueliners, Johnny Boychuk  killed the entire penalty, with Meszaros and Potter taking turns as his partner. Up front, the Bruins used Patrice Bergeron  with Brad Marchand , David Krejci  with Loui Eriksson and Gregory Campbell  with Justin Florek. The group stayed the course, limiting Detroit to just a Johan Franzen shot on goal.
In the second period, Torey Krug went off for a hold on Johan Franzen, with Eriksson having the only shot on goal during the Red Wings power play. Potter and Florek also played during that penalty kill.
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/04/18/red-wings-take-game-1-from-bruins-on-late-pavel-datsyuk-goal/
URLs in this post:
 Pavel Datsyuk: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/pavel-datsyuk.htm
 Tuukka Rask: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/tuukka-rask.htm
 Patrice Bergeron: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/patrice-bergeron.htm
 Zdeno Chara: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/zdeno-chara.htm
 Daniel Paille: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/daniel-paille.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 Brad Marchand: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/brad-marchand.htm
 David Krejci: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Gregory Campbell: http://audio.weei.com/hockey/gregory-campbell.htm
 > Red Wings take Game 1 from Bruins on late Pavel Datsyuk goal" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/04/18/red-wings-take-game-1-from-bruins-on-late-pavel-datsyuk-goal/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.