Peter Chiarelli: Bruins will not re-sign Shawn Thornton
|06.16.14 at 3:40 pm ET|
In a video posted on the team’s website, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli announced that the team will not be re-signing forward Shawn Thornton.
“Today I met with Shawn. We had a good meeting, and I informed him that we wouldn’t be re-signing him,” Chiarelli said in the video. “It was good in the sense that we talked about the time Shawn has spent here.
“I told him that he was one of the most significant acquisitions that we made — one, for the role that he played, and two, for the person that he is. It was nice to rehash his time. It was sad to tell him he wasn’t coming back.”
Thornton spent seven seasons in Boston, tallying 34 goals, 42 assists and 748 penalty minutes in 480 games. He added one goal, six assists and 62 penalty minutes in 86 playoff games and helped lead the Bruins to a Stanley Cup title in 2011.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5