Bruins draft Ryan Donato, son of Ted Donato, in second round
|06.28.14 at 10:49 am ET|
The Bruins called a familiar name Saturday morning, drafting Ryan Donato in the second round of the NHL draft.
Donato is the son of former Bruin and current Harvard coach Ted Donato. The 18-year-old center, who grew up in Scituate, put up 37 goals and 41 assists in 30 games for the Dexter School this past season. Donato will either remain at Dexter or head to the Omaha Lancers of the United States Hockey League next season before going to Harvard to play for his father in the fall of 2015.
Scouting reports praise Donato’s hockey smarts and offensive skill, though FutureConsiderations.ca writes that his skating could stand to improve.
The Bruins have taken forwards with their first two picks, as they drafted Czech right wing David Pastrnak in the first round. They did not have a third-round pick, as it was traded to the Flyers in exchange for Andrej Meszaros.
For more Bruins news, visit weei.com/bruins.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5